Chapter 14; One step ahead.

"You let me handle this, alright?" Tommy ordered, storming ahead in front of me and if anger was a picture; Tommy would be it right now.

We found out this morning that Major. Campbell had thrown both Arthur and Michael in jail. Michael, for being accused of burning down The Marquis of Lorne pub after a misunderstanding. Although I knew it wouldn't have been Michael, it was John, Arthur and a few other Peaky's who did it due to a fight breaking out at the pub which involved Michael.

Arthur, had been thrown in jail for the murder of Billy Kitchen. Also leading us to believe that Alfie Solomon's And Darby Sabini had now joined forces as it had happened straight after Arthur visited Alfie for a 'Passover' at the distillery. But it was all a set up.

"I think you're forgetting that this is my family too, Tommy." I reminded him, slightly annoyed that he was once again, trying to do this by himself.

"Effie," He stopped walking just before we reached the church doors, where we would be meeting Campbell. Tommy placed his hands on my arms and looked me in the eyes. "I need you to let me handle this. Just this bloody once, don't say anything until I get what I want out of him, alright?" He requested as I sighed slightly before nodding. "Good, let's go." He turned and walked through the door as I followed behind.

When we walked into the main hall of the church, I saw Campbell sitting on one of the benches reading a newspaper. I stayed near the entrance as Tommy marched forward towards the alter, making Campbell aware of his presence.

"We had a deal. We had a fucking deal." Tommy stated, his voice raising slightly as he turned to look at Campbell.

"I would think you would moderate your language in a place of worship." Campbell said, causing Tommy to walk over to him and rip the newspaper from his hands and throw it behind him. I pressed my tongue to the inside of my cheek, crossing my arms over my chest and taking a quiet, deep breath in order to calm down my own anger at his patronising tone.

"We had a fucking deal." Tommy repeated, his voice lower now as he leaned over the bench towards Campbell, pointing his finger at him.

"Mr. Shelby, if you read the papers," Tommy sighed in frustration, leaning back from the bench and looking at me as I could tell his temper was about to get the better of him. "You might have seen that the Home Secretary has got himself into a bit of a fizz about certain moral issues." I began to slowly walk closer as Tommy paced back and forth in the aisle. "Prostitution, protection, racketeering, drinking, cocaine and, of course gambling." Campbell finished listing off as I stopped walking once I reached half way down the aisle. "And he has demanded results."

"You offered me protection." Tommy reminded him. "You offered Effie protection." He gestured his hand towards me, Campbell briefly glancing back at me. "You promised that."

"Well, no, you see, it was Mr. Churchill that made you that promise." Campbell stated in a calm voice. "And the Home Secretary out ranks him, so..." I furrowed my eyebrows and my mouth fell open slightly at his words. "And I can hardly be blamed if your demented brother decides to go on some sort of blood orgy during dinner."

"Don't fucking lie to me." Tommy said, his finger pointed at Campbell as I knew he was about to lose his temper. "Do not sit here in your fucking church and lie to me!" Tommy's voice echoed throughout the empty building as he leaned on the bench towards Campbell. I walked over and placed a hand on his shoulder, urging him to lean back and he did so.

"Calm down, Tommy." I whispered to him as he briefly glanced at me with one million emotions circling his blue eyes.

"I would listen to your girlfriend." Campbell coughed as I turned to look at him. "Or this meeting is at an end." Tommy scoffed and walked back, turning away from me and Campbell. "Good. That's better."