Chapter 17; A promise made to be broken.

Today was the day. My wedding day. Our wedding day. The day I became Mrs. Shelby.

I felt excited, but also nervous in taking this next step with Tommy. I had no idea where the nervous feeling was coming from as we had been practically living like a married couple for the past two years. But I just knew it was a big step in our lives; A big step that I was ready to welcome with open arms.

My grandfather was going to be the one to walk me down the aisle. After spending three years of trying to contact me - which I didn't know about - my mother's parents finally found me. They played a big part in my life before I went off to war, but when I took Jess and ran from home, I dropped all contact with my immediate family. I was terrified that if I stayed in contact with anyone that my father could possibly find us.

My grandparents didn't know the extent of my father's abuse. They didn't even know that that was why my mother killed herself. When I explained to them the truth about the situation, they understood and didn't hold any remorse towards me for running and I quote, "They would have done the same thing."

"You look beautiful, darling." My grandfather coo'd with a small, adoring smile on his face.

"Thank you, Grandad." I told him with a smile as he took my hands in his.

"Are you ready to get married?" He asked, giving my hands a small reassuring squeeze as I took a deep breath in.

"I'm ready." I said, smiling at him before looking at the entrance of the church we stood outside.

"Then my dear," My grandad began as he let go of my hands and held his arm out for me to take instead. "Your husband awaits."

I couldn't help the smile that took over my face. And as I tried to push away the giddy feeling in the pit of my stomach, it only made it become more intense. Tommy Shelby; My husband. I sometimes couldn't believe we had got to this point. After our first meeting in The Garrison all I wanted was to stay away from him. But he was persistent, and I'm glad that he was.

My Grandad begun walking with me as we entered the church. My eyes immediately went to Tommy, Arthur stood beside him as his best man. I noticed Tommy's immediate small smile, and even though my smile was already massive, I felt it grow. Luckily, I don't think he could see me due to the vail that hung over my face.

My family filled up the left side of the church, all of which was my mother's side of the family. I had never met any of my father's family, and it was pretty clear why. The right side was filled up with Tommy's family and other people that we knew. Jess was also sat with Polly, as she had stated she felt more comfortable with them. I couldn't blame her. That was the family she grew up with and she didn't have any memories of her grandparents, aunts, uncles or cousins. That was my fault. I ripped her away from her home, but it was for a good reason. And as far as I had been told, they understood that.

My feet came to a stop at the alter. I turned to my Grandfather and hugged him before walking up the step to face Tommy. My Grandfather leaned over and shook Tommy's hand before leaving to sit beside my Grandmother.

I soon felt the vail being lifted from my face, Tommy's piercing, blue eyes scanning down my matching blue dress. I was in awe of him. He looked simply stunning in his navy blue suit.

"You look so beautiful." I blurted out in a hushed voice as he smiled slightly.

"Am I not the one supposed to be telling you that?" He asked back, quietly as I smiled.

"Feel free." I stated as he replied with a breathy laugh.

"You look beautiful, Effie." He told me as we both couldn't help the smiles on our faces.