Chapter 10; Don't keep me in the dark.

2 years later.

I stood in front of The Garrison - or rather what was left of The Garrison. After attending the funeral for Freddie Thorne, I felt like this was the last thing we needed.

"Nobody saw anything. Our patrols were not in the area." The copper told myself and Tommy as I watched Polly inspect the damage. "Mr. Shelby, do you have any idea who might have done it?"

"I'd say it was something to do with the gas." Tommy lied, clearing his throat as I turned to look at him. It wasn't anything to do with the gas, myself and Tommy both knew that. I saw Tommy reach into his pocket as I turned my attention back to Polly. "It's just been fitted."

"Madam, the structure's not yet declared safe." The copper called to Polly as she walked through the burnt doors of the pub and bent down to pick something up.

"This is all over the place." She told us, turning around with a piece of green confetti in her hand.

"Confetti?" I asked, raising an eyebrow as she handed it to Tommy. I suddenly realised what it meant as I cleared my throat slightly and looked at the copper. "That'll be all now, thank you." I said, making it clear that I wanted him to leave. He nodded quickly before jogging on, leaving myself, Tommy and Polly to talk. "It's the Irish." I stated as Tommy raised his eyebrow at me.

"What makes you think that?" He asked as I looked back at the pub.

"A blown up pub with green confetti left behind? If that's not a clear sign of a pissed off Irishman then I don't what is." I pointed out as I walked to the door.

"Effie, be careful." Tommy said as I looked inside at the damage. It wasn't too bad, but the whole place would probably need redone.

"We can always visit that Irish bar not far from here." I suggested, nodding my head in the direction of the bar.

"I'll go. You and Polly go home for now." He told us as I rolled my eyes.

"I wish once you would just let me come with you." I stated as he walked towards me and put his hands on my arms.

"It could be dangerous." He said, repeating the same excuse he used every time.

"I think sometimes you forget who I am." I reply, a small smile on my face due to the many times we've had this conversation.

"Oh, on the contrary, Effie, I never forget who you are." He told me, causing me to laugh lightly. "But everyday you become more and more important to me, and the last thing I need is to lose you." He brought his thumb and index finger up to my chin to hold it. "Go home, and I'll be home soon, alright?"

I stared into his eyes and eventually nodded. I hated letting him do all these things alone, and although I knew Tommy was more than capable of handling almost any situation, I didn't want him to be in danger.

He leaned forward connecting our lips in a short kiss as it took the air from my lungs, the exact same way it did the first time we kissed.

"I love you, alright?" He said, walking away as I nodded slightly.

"I love you, too." I called as I walked over to Polly.

***

"Arthur told me you were back." I said, walking into Tommy's office. He sat behind his desk, smoking a cigarette and I studied his face for a moment, immediately being able to tell that something was bothering him. "What did you find?" I walked over to the table at the side of his office, filling a glass half full with whiskey.