Chapter 13; Better two dead than one.

"Effie, how's the little one?" I glanced at Lizzie who sat at her desk, shutting the door behind me as I walked in.

"She's better now. I think she just caught the flu." I explained, referring to Jess who I had been looking after most of the day.

"That's good. I'm sorry I couldn't watch her earlier." She apologised as I walked over to her desk.

Due to Jess suddenly taking unwell and no one being available to look after her, it unfortunately caused me to miss mine and Tommy's first meeting with Major. Campbell. Tommy went ahead without me, and now that Polly was looking after Jess, I had come to his office to find out how it went.

"That's alright." I reassured her as she gave me a small smile. "Is Tommy inside?" I asked, pointing my finger at his office door as she nodded.

"Yes, he's been waiting for you." She told me as I nodded and said a quick goodbye. I knocked on the door, alerting him of my presence before going inside. I saw him sitting behind his desk as he watched me walk over and take a seat opposite him.

"How did it go?" I asked as he sipped his glass of whiskey. He sighed lightly and leaned forward, taking a brown coloured file and throwing it onto the desk in front of me.

"They gave me the details of the man to assassinate." He said as I reached over and took the file in my hands, opening it up to see the name Henry Russell.

"They?" I questioned. I had only thought it was Campbell who would be present at the meeting.

"They." Tommy confirmed with a curt nod, not even looking at me as he lit a cigarette. I returned my eyes to the file reading over the details of this man. "Irene O'Donnell and Donal Henry were also present." I snapped my head up to look at him with furrowed eyebrows.

"The pricks that blew up The Garrison?" I asked, slight bewilderment lacing my voice.

"Turns out they weren't the only pricks in on it." He replied, catching my eyes but I don't hold his stare for long and I instead, look away in thought.

"Which means Campbell already knew about the assassination of Duggan before you even did it." I said, more to myself. But Tommy nodded anyway.

"It was all Campbell's idea." Tommy stated as he stood up from his chair. "The assassination of Duggan, the pub," He continued as he walked around the desk and took the seat beside me. "And now this."

"They want us to carry it out because it will be seen as criminal move instead of a political one." I stated, shaking my head slightly as I turned to look at Tommy. "Right?" He only held my stare for a minute before nodding, causing me to sigh in frustration.

"But they assured me that no connection will ever made to me, or you, or this family-"

"Oh, give me a fucking break, Tommy." I cut him off, throwing the file back onto the desk. "You really believe the horse shit they fed you at that meeting?" I asked, my eyes slightly wide as I looked at him, but he remained calm.

"No." He answered, simply, breaking our eye contact. "And I don't know why they've involved you either." He said, an underlying tone of frustration in his voice.

"Isn't it obvious?" I replied, leaning back in my chair as he looked at me again. "I'm not an assassin, Tommy, but I'm trained like one. They know that if anything happens to you, that I'll go after every last one of them." I explained as we held each other's stare before I spoke once more,

"It's better to have two of us dead than one."

***

After a long night of talking with Tommy on our next steps, he informed me of Donal Henry being a spy for the irregulars against the pro-treaty Paddies. Meaning we weren't going ahead with any assassination until he was dead, which Tommy assured me was being taken care of by Campbell. After that, we could really start planning our next move.