9 ¦ The Invitation

A/N: Cover art courtesy of lostnfovnd. Thank you so much! 💜
___
I stared at the comments section of my last blog entry with the broadest grin plastered on my face. Despite Eric's near radio silence after my little outburst, even he'd left two positive comments.

Wow, look at all that amazing feedback! Even the naysayers kept quiet.

And yet, my heart clenched a bit with guilt. After our little spat, Eric had signed off AIM and hadn't returned. Not even with an away message like he often did when he was busy.

Don't be silly. He's probably just studying for exams.

But I couldn't deny the truth. This was the longest time we'd gone without chatting in the past three weeks.

Determined to take matters into my own hands, I wrote him an email to clear the air. Things were awkward. No doubt about it. But they didn't have to stay that way.

Since I caused the problem, it was up to me to fix it.

I re-read my email before I hit send

I re-read my email before I hit send. Sometimes my words didn't always come across the way I'd intended. I decided to go for a lighter tone, but I wasn't exactly the most diplomatic person on the planet. The last thing I needed was to mess things up by sending something stupid.

For the love of God, it's just an email. Calm your ass down.

My heart thudding in protest, I clicked send.

Like a languishing idiot, I kept logged in to AOL, hoping for that standard chime of "You've got mail." But no such luck. Even after two hours that dragged on like two thousand.

Ugh, for goodness' sake! Stop it. You're not thirteen anymore.

After logging off, I met Mom downstairs in the kitchen. She was sitting at the mahogany table with a cup of tea and a metal tin of ginger snaps.

"Would you like a bite to eat?" she asked, getting to her feet. "Or a cup of tea?"

"That's okay, Mom," I replied with a smile. "I've got it, thanks."

She returned to her seat with a puzzled expression. "Are you okay? You seem worried."

"Just nervous about my acceptance letters."

Not a lie. Just not the whole truth.

"You have a three-point-eight GPA. They have to accept you."

Three-point-eight-seven-eight. Every little bit counts.

"Yeah, but what about scholarships?" I sighed. "No scholarships, no college."

"You've worked so hard, hon. Everything has worked well for us so far." Mom paused a beat and took a sip of her tea. "I'm praying for you every night. God won't let us down."