28 ¦ A Dream Come True

A month later...

When the doorbell rang, my heart almost flew out of my mouth, thereby defying all known laws of physics.

So soon? Damn, I'm not ready yet! 

I applied a faint dab of blush and added a touch more hairspray to my elaborate hairdo. The last thing I needed was for it to fall to smithereens after the first fast dance. 

"Don't run to the door, dear," Mom said. "You'll ruin your hair."

"I got it!" Grandad said. 

"No, wait--"

The door opened with the familiar creak. 

"Good evening, Mr. Smith," came Eric's voice, rich as dark chocolate and smooth as velvet. "I'm Eric. And I'm here to escort Jess to the prom."

"Come in, come in, young man," Grandad replied. "Jess is just getting ready. You know women and their elaborate hairdos."

Grandad, OMG! Stop embarrassing me.

"Yes, sir."

"My, don't you look dashing!" Mom exclaimed. "A full tux complete with a vest. I'm impressed, Eric."

"Thank you, ma'am."

"Just wait until you see my lovely little girl," Mom gushed, making my blush superfluous. "She's an angelic vision from heaven."

"As always."

"So, tell me, young man..."

Inwardly, I groaned when she lowered her voice to a whisper. I had nightmarish visions of her quizzing him on his faith, his values, and his intentions as though he were a suspect at a police station. 

For God's sake, he's taking me to prom. Not a nightclub. Give us a break.

"I can assure you, my intentions are pure," he answered, loud enough for me to hear. "Only dancing. No inappropriate touching. And she'll be back by midnight as promised."

Mom's anxious voice carried. "And just--"

"Carm, enough already. She isn't dancing with the devil."

"Ted!"

Eric's deep laughter carried upstairs, and my stomach gave a happy flurry of nerves. It amazed me how he was able to keep his calm with prom only an hour away. And with my family no less.

I took a deep breath and descended the stairway into the kitchen. When Eric stood at the base of the stairs, his eyes widened with delight. His lips parted a fraction as he drew in a breath. 

"Lovely, isn't she?" Mom said. 

"Yes," he breathed. "Stunning."

I held up my a corner of my white dress so that I wouldn't trip, revealing my sparkling silver heels. They were the same color as the beaded bodice of my gown, which had faux laces down the back. The chiffon skirt fell straight, landing only a couple of inches off the ground.