21 ¦ Girl Talk

After movie night had ended, Teddy wrapped me up in his big arms to bid me goodnight. I suppressed a yelp of surprise. The poor guy didn't understand the concept of personal space. Still, I didn't want to make a fuss and embarrass anyone. After all, he treated Helen the same way, and they were just friends.

Teddy gave me one last squeeze. "It was so good to finally meet you."

"Finally?" I asked with a quizzical brow.

"Eric's been talking so much about you," he exclaimed. "Couldn't wait until you joined us for movie night."

Poor Eric turned beet red just before he busied himself with cleaning up the leftover debris in his room. I stared at my feet. God help me, I couldn't stop the widest grin from spreading across my face. 

Helen gave a frustrated sigh. "Well, if you ever want the Sixth Fleet to know something..."

"Oh, oops!" Teddy said with a look of chagrin. "Sorry."

"Yeah." She huffed but opened her arms wide. "Come here, you big bear."

Dave, Steve, and John were content to wave goodbye to us as they headed back to their dorms. Helen winked at me and whispered, "I'll meet you back in my room when you're done."

That left Eric and me alone for the second time that night. He approached me but couldn't meet my gaze. "Don't mind Teddy. He's a good guy--one of my best friends. But..."

"It's fine," I said with a nervous chuckle. "At the risk of sounding silly, I couldn't keep quiet about it either. My friend Care is dying to hear some news. She's like Teddy, but way more subdued."

His head perked up at my words. "Really?"

I took a step closer to him. A part of me was dying to hold his hand, but I didn't risk it. Not after everything had gone so well.

"It's not just you, you know," I said.

Eric directed his intense hazel gaze at me. It looked like he wanted to say something, but he closed his eyes and shook his head with a scoff. 

"What is it?" I asked. "You can tell me."

"I was thinking about what Helen said...at lunch...about..." He shuffled on his feet and ran his hands through his hair. "About teaching you to dance."

"Well, don't feel any pressure. You know Helen."

"That's what I said," he said with a curled lip. "To you."

"I'm a really blunt person," I admitted with a shake of my head. "I've been hiding it to be polite, but it's very hard for me not to speak my mind. Quite brusquely, I might add."

"Please do," he said in an insistent tone that sounded almost foreign coming from him. "I hate trying to guess what a woman is thinking. Why do you think Helen and I are such great friends?"

"I would love to learn how to dance, but I don't want to make you feel uncomfortable."

"Then let's do it," he said with a smile. "When do you have time?"

"Tomorrow evening maybe?"

"Perfect. I'll see you then." 

We both exchanged a relieved smile. "What should I wear?"

"Whatever makes you comfortable," he replied. "Just bear in mind that we will have to touch occasionally even though I won't break through your personal space."

My heart beat furiously at his words. "Of course, you have to teach me how to dance with a partner. So we have to dance like we're partners."

His cheeks flushed crimson. "Yes, I suppose we do."