Chapter 7: Perplexed

The things my grandma told me kept haunting me the whole night. I couldn't sleep properly nor could I think of anything I could do. I wanted to give my family justice. I wanted to do something that would make my grandma smile again.

Finally the day everyone had anticipated for had come. It was Jason's birthday. Everyone was running helter-skelter trying to find Jason to wish him whereas, I wanted to find him for a completely different reason.

"Hey, Roni! Have you seen Jason?" I asked desperately.

"Well, he's not coming to school today. He's sick," she said.

"Oh, okay," I said, moving away.

"I thought you would know about it. After all, you and Jason are quite close. Aren't you?" she said walking towards me with a fake smile. I instantly had a feeling that something was wrong.

"Ugh... No, no. It's nothing like that," I said.

"Well, everyone in the school is talking about you and Jason. Do you even have his number?" asked Roni, bombarding me with questions. Questions that I couldn't answer.

"Or maybe you might know where does he live. Do you?" she added. By now everybody in the hallway was looking at us. I was not used to so much attention.

"Stop Roni! That's enough," said Logan pulling her back.

"Oh shut up Logan," said Roni pushing Logan against the wall.

"Have you even bought him a gift? Well, how would you? You couldn't even buy your own dress," said Roni, shouting in the hallway to make sure everyone could hear it. I wanted to blurt out a lot of things at that point in time but I just couldn't. I knew I was better than her in such a lot of things, except, of course, the money business. But now when I knew who had caused the money problem, I wanted to figure it out. I had to talk to Jason about it. But how?

I left the hallway and moved to class, ignoring whatever she said to me. The only thing I could think about was my family. Now the only option I was left with was attending the party. I wanted to know more about the William's and the only way I could do that was by attending the party.

I hurried home after class. I didn't want to face Roni and have a fight again. I got home earlier than usual. I knew that I didn't have a gift and I wasn't keen on buying one either.

"What is this supposed to be?" asked Grandma with the 300 dollar dress in her hand.

"I found this while I was cleaning your room. From where did you get money to buy such an expensive dress?" she asked in a rather serious tone.

"Umm, I didn't. Roni bought this for me. I'll return her the money very soon," I said trying to convince her.

"It would take us months to return her the money back. Make the right decisions," she said leaving the room. I had indeed made many wrong decisions in the past month. I didn't want to make them again. I had to talk to Jason.

I got ready. I wore a light blue gown that my dad had gifted me. After all that had happened in school, I didn't want to look at that pink dress again.

So Logan was going to pick me up for the party because, as Roni said, I didn't know where did Jason live. We didn't speak a word to each other in the car. After all that had happened, we didn't know what to say. We reached in about fifteen minutes. I got out of the car and Logan pointed towards the house. It was a huge brown house with white windows and a huge garden in front of it.

The house looked familiar. I was very sure that I had been there. But when? And why? I couldn't remember anything. I wanted answers.

We moved towards the house and saw a lady standing on the front door and welcoming the guests.

"Who's she?" I asked.

"She's Jason's mother," said Logan moving towards the house.

We reached the door when all of a sudden Jason's mother held my wrist. She looked at me from top to bottom as if she recognised me. The perplexed look on her face made me take a step back.

"Welcome to the party," she said with a forced smile on her face while leaving my hand.

Something was terribly wrong.

I sincerely hope that you are enjoying the story. Do like the story if you do and do not forget to add it to your library to stay updated :)