Transmission

Jamie

Jordan had never been to a club in his entire life. He hadn't been many places. Like Tim, I was a little nervous with how he was going to do, but I never let on I was nervous or worried. I could tell Jordan was excited because he dressed up for the occasion, wearing a red t-shirt and jeans. Red was a good color for him. And he looked great in jeans. I had never seen him wear them before. He even wore socks with his black Chucks.

The band had just gone on when we arrived around 9:30. Music blared and the smell of sweat and beer permeated the small club. Jordan's eyes widened and he squeezed my hand tighter, a sign he was stressed or overwhelmed, but he didn't run away.

"Is this a gay bar?" Jordan asked loudly in my ear, holding my hand, keeping me close to him.

"Yes, it is," I said.

"Okay. Good," he said and pulled me to him to kiss me full on my mouth. I loved his long, lingering kisses that made me want to kiss him forever and all over. "Thank you for taking me out," he said in my ear as he hugged me. He held me close to him, swaying to the music.

He really liked the music, but he hated it when people bumped into him, which happened often since the club was so crowded. His entire body tensed whenever anyone so much as rubbed lightly against his elbow. He'd jerk his arm away as if someone really hurt him. To get away from the people near the small stage, we ended up standing against the back wall, his hand clenched tightly in mine.

"Are you sure you don't want to go?" I asked in his ear, holding his hand with one hand and a beer with the other.

"No, I like this song," he said as Transmission played. He said that about every song, though. Standing in the back of the room, he stared at the cover band, mesmerized and intently focused.

Everything was more or less under control so Tim didn't have to text me or him every ten minutes. He was a little overbearing at times; caring but overbearing and overprotective. Jordan let go of my hand, bringing his arm around my waist. Even with such minimal expression, I could tell he was having a good time. Having gotten to know him pretty well over the past two months, I realized he had this ability to communicate with his eyes despite his difficulty with making eye contact with other people.

Around midnight, Jordan headed to the door, pulling me along with him. The summer night air actually felt really good.

"Are you alright?" I asked.

"Yes," he said. "Stop asking me that. I just want to go home." Apparently Jordan had had enough.

Kelly's car was still in the driveway by the time we got back to the house at one in the morning. Because she was still there and the house was dark, I assumed she was staying over.

"Has Tim ever had a girl stay over before?" I asked.

"Yes," he said. "But he thinks I never knew."

Up until recently, I never understood why Tim was so secretive about his girlfriends. But after I witnessed Jordan's reactions toward Kelly, I understood why. He didn't want to share Tim with anyone. They were both as bad as each other. I was hoping he'd go to England, not just because of me, but it was his chance to separate from Tim who had been by his side almost day in and day out since he was born. It was Jordan's decision to make, though, and not mine.

At first the house was dark, but as we made our way up the walkway, a light flickered on upstairs. Jordan sighed, texting someone whom I presumed was Tim. The light instantly turned off.

"What'd you text him?" I asked.

"Nothing," Jordan said with a sheepish grin.

"Tell me," I said, nudging his shoulder with mine. "What'd you text him?"