Ladies and Gentlemen We are Floating into Space (Can't Help Falling in Love)

A/N This is the initial version of the song, featuring Elvis Presley's "Can't Help Falling in Love." At the time of its initial release, the Elvis Presley estate would not allow the song to be used, but in 2009 they were eventually allowed to use it as long as "Can't Help Falling in Love" was in the title.

Jamie

As soon as I heard Tim's car pull in the driveway, I ran down the stairs to greet him at the front door. I didn't care that I looked desperate. I was desperate to find out how he was doing. Behind his glasses were a pair of very tired, sad eyes, and worried. He looked absolutely exhausted.

This is all my fault, I thought to myself. It was my idea to take Jordan to Fenway. Maybe I did "ruin everything" like he said. No...no, I couldn't believe that. He wasn't in his right frame of mind when he said all those things to me. I didn't feel like I "ruined everything." If anything, I liked to think I made a small difference in his life like he made a difference in mine. He made a huge difference in my life. My heart ached for him.

"He's being transferred to a different hospital," Tim said before I said or asked him anything. "A treatment program for kids like him."

Kids like him.

Jordan was referred to as a kid, reminding me that I had fallen in love with a nineteen year old boy after he convinced me he wasn't a "boy." He led me believe he was a man. I definitely didn't treat him like a kid; that's not what he wanted and he didn't act like a kid in bed. He had grown up very fast in that department.

"I just came home to pack a bag for him," Tim said.

"I can do it," I said. "Why don't you just sit and relax for a minute."

"Where's Art? Is he still here?" he asked.

"Yeah, I think he went to bed," I said. At one point he was in his office, but I heard him go upstairs to his room not too long ago.

"Yeah, at seven o'clock," he scoffed in disbelief, heading to the living room. "I've been in the ER all afternoon and he's hiding in the house. Typical."

While Tim went to the living room, I returned upstairs to pack some things for Jordan. I gathered a couple of pairs of jeans and shorts, then sorted through some of his favorite concert t-shirts: the Pixies, the Cure, Joy Division, the Ramones. I was sure he'd want his phone and music, so I placed his phone and headphones on top of his shirts. From my sketchbook, I tore out a quick drawing I did of Jordan. I couldn't remember if that was the one he asked me to give him. I tucked the sketch underneath his clothes. I couldn't think of anything else he'd need in the hospital; I had never been to a psych unit before. I wasn't even sure how long he'd be there. What's worse was that I wouldn't be around when he got out.

Tim didn't relax very long because he was waiting in the kitchen when I came back downstairs. He was never one to relax, no matter the circumstances. "Do you want me to go with you?" I asked.

"No, I'm going to be there awhile, signing paperwork and everything," he said. "You can't see him. I'm sorry. I know how much you want to see him." He took the suitcase from me and left the house.

All of my things were packed. Well, everything I planned on taking to England with me. Tim was nice enough to let me store some of my things in the basement in the next room beside his garden of cannabis. The morning before I left, I had brunch with my parents and sister. My mother was having a good day, so that was a good thing. She knew who I was, knew I was going to England for ten months, and even remembered Jordan. I didn't go into any details about what happened to him or that he was in the hospital. I let her believe we were still together and madly in love. As far as I was concerned, we were still together and I love, and I had no intention of breaking up with him. Despite the incident and his meltdown at Fenway, I didn't love him any less, even after all the things he said to me in the emergency room. He didn't mean any of it.