Bluff

I stop in my tracks. He doesn't mean that, does he? I turn around to see him staring back at me with a red face and furious eyes. The vein bulging out of his neck looked like it was about to pop right out. He was shaking and balling up his fists, revealing his rather white knuckles. I knew that I could catch him off guard by challenging him, but what if he was telling the truth? I've already seen him in a terrifying manic episode, would it really be surprising if he would kill himself over a girl who didn't love him? I glean all the confidence and courage I could muster and say, "I call your bluff." I look him dead in the eyes, my intense stare never wavering. The tension was almost tangible as we stood like statues in what seemed like a never ending standoff. He finally raised his head a little, squinting his now tear filled eyes at me. "You think I'm lying don't you?" Not expecting him to speak I was taken by surprise when he asked me that question. I swallowed hard, racking my brain for an answer. "I do." Dead silence was the reply. The silence was agonizing, and filled with anxiety. Small beads of sweat were making their way down my face, the stress of the whole situation finally dawning on me. His voice jerked me out of my inner thoughts. "Alright then, lets see if I'm really bluffing." I'm confused at first until he angrily stomps away into what looked to be the kitchen. It suddenly hit me what he was doing. My heart leapt into my throat when I followed him. Why did I care? Why did I care what happened to him? He took me away from my family, my friends; and I'm here trying to stop him from killing himself and giving me a chance to escape? What is wrong with me? I made it into the kitchen only to be greeted with the sight him holding a gun to his head. I almost choked a little bit. Why did he have a gun? What does he need it for? I pushed my fearful thoughts aside and tried to conjure up something to say. "You think I'm lying now? Only when I have a gun to my head do you believe me? You might as well just shoot me yourself." He slowly walks up to me, ominously placing the deadly weapon in my hand. A weapon that with just the movement of a finger could end a life. He steps backwards and straightens himself up and holds his head up high. He is actually waiting for me to shoot him. I know I said I hated him but, I just can't do it. No matter who it is I always remember that this is a son or daughter with a mother or father, a husband or wife possibly with kids of their own. I could never bring myself to pull a trigger on someone. I let the gun fall to the floor. "No." I say boldly. "I won't." He tilts his head down in confusion. "I thought you hated me."
"I do but, if you think I'm gonna end someone's life out of hate you're wrong. I'm better than that."
"Fine." He says, " I guess I can't play the sympathy card to keep you with me so I'll just have to use other tactics." I could see it in his eyes that he was going into another episode. My blood froze in my veins as I got somewhat of an idea of what he was talking about. I turn quick on my heels, trying to run from the manic monster in front of me. But he was also quick. Too quick for me. His arms wrap me in a tight bear hug and lifts me off the ground. The moment my feet leave to floor I know I'm done for. There's no way I can fight him; my fate is sealed. I scream and kick and squirm for all I'm worth, but it just isn't enough. We approach a large door that looks innocent enough but, when he opens it I'm met with the sight of old, rickety, wooden stairs. "I don't want to go down there!" I wail. It doesn't seem to change his mind. "well you don't really have a choice now do you?" He asks cockily. There is one moment of confusion before I am harshly propelled down the stairs, he head banging violently on each step. I'm still rolling when I feel an unbearable pain in my shoulder. I let out a blood curdling scream as tiny explosions of pain radiate from my shoulder and through the rest of my body. My head hits hard on the concrete floor and I'm whisked into nothingness.
----------------------------------------
Hey guys, I know I don't usually do author's notes but I want to apologize for not updating much. I've been having really bad writer's block lately, but I busted through the wall and am happy to say that I will be updating more. Thanks for sticking with me.
-JM