Care

My eyes felt as though they were shut with imaginary glue. Willing my lids to open but being forbidden to do so. I work on getting them open one centimeter, two? They finally and reluctantly open only to be staring at an old concrete ceiling. I move my arms to sit up but only then do I realize the white hot pain piercing my shoulder. I bite my lip hard in order to stifle a scream, but alas a pained moan escapes. I slump back down to the floor with a groan, remembering exactly what caused it. The man who said he loved me? What a liar. I sit there writhing in pain and shedding tear after tear. The pain is unbearable and I can't move my arm for the life of me. I hear the sound of heavy footsteps and try in vain to scoot to a nearby corner. I make it about 6 inches before my shoulder tells me to stop. I slump to the ground once more, accepting my fate. The footsteps get closer and my breathing gets heavier. The door creaks open letting in a substantial amount of light, causing me to bury my face into the floor. I hear the descending steps of impending doom. I close my eyes. I feel his presence looming over shaking body. In one last attempt to get away I throw myself to the side but this only results in me yelling in pain. "Hey don't do that you'll hurt yourself!" He says as he takes slow strides toward me. Only then do I see him carrying a bag. Oh god. What's in there? Drugs? Weapons? What could possibly be in that bag? "Get away" I tell him, "GET AWAY!" I yelled it the last time and he stops. I see a glint of sympathy in his eyes like last time. At least now I know not to fall for it. He starts to kneel down close to me as I shake and whimper, not able to do anything to help myself. I jump as he lightly touches my shoulder blade. "Can you sit up for me?" He asks gingerly. I give in and give him a solid answer. "No."
"Alright then, that's a problem easily fixed."
I get a sort of idea of what he's going to do so I pull back when he goes to reach for my injured shoulder. He seems to understand why I'm so hesitant to let him touch me there. "Listen, I know it's gonna hurt, but I have to sit you up in order to treat you. You do want to feel better right?" I sniffle and nod. I felt like a toddler in a doctors office that just got promised a lollipop if he was still during his vaccinations. " Okay. I'm gonna sit you up against the wall on three, okay? One, two, three" he begins to push up against me. I let out a cry and a few tears but eventually I'm up against the wall. Then I see him pull out the bag. Oh god. What's in there? He slides the bag close to him and unzips it and pulls out... a roll of gauze? "Listen, I know you have no reason to trust me, but I need to put your shoulder back in place."
"No. Hell no, your not doing that to me!"
"If I leave it the way it is it's gonna heal all
wrong and it'll hurt even more for the rest of your life, is that what you want?" He looks at me awaiting and answer. I shamefully shake my head 'no'. "Good" he sighs, "He shifts himself closer to me puts a hand on my arm and the other loosely on my forearm. "Are you ready?"
"No." I whine
"Just relax you muscles and it'll all be okay."
He starts to vertically lift my arm. I immediately feel shooting pain and I tell him to stop but he just keeps going, the pain increasing. Just when I feel like the pain is at an all time high, I feel and unpleasant disturbing pop inside my socket. He then slowly moves my forearm in towards my stomach. He rolls the gauze around my slightly aching shoulder and under my forearm in a makeshift sling of sorts.
"What was that?"
"The Kocher Method."
He says no more and leaves me there to wonder the hell just happened.