Prologue

"Why do we have to sneak out of the house if we're not doing anything wrong to sneak onto the subway?" a seventh grade boy that went by the name of David Jacobs asked his boyfriend, Jack Kelly, and best friend, Racetrack Higgins.

Race was smiling, looking out the window. David was always a good boy.

"You think your ready to just walk by your parents?" Jack asked, gesturing to the door.

"I think i'm ready."

"Let me see your face as you's walk by your parents."

He made his face to be one of horror.

"Why're you makin' that face, Davey?" Race asked.

"Because i'm sneaking onto the subway."

There was a pause.

Then David pointed towards the window.

"Out the window."

"Let's go."

The three started crawling out of the bay window and onto the fire escape.

And back tracked back in, Davey's father crawling through the window as the three boys did too.

He raised a finger as the three walked over towards David's bed, the covers having rocket ships and galaxys on them.

"Here's what i'm thinkin'." he crawled out of the window, putting his feet on the floor. "It's not your world yet. It's still my world." he put his hands to his chest. "Because if it was your world, these two would have you on the subway already thinkin' you put somethin' over on me. Put you didn't. You wanna know how I know? Look at ya. You're right here."

Davey looked at Jack, then back to his dad. "How long do I have to live in my father's world?"

"Until ya make it yours. David-" he put his hand on his shoulder, "do you know what I want more than anything? Go ahead-" he pointed to the door, "make it yours."

"I will, and when I do, will you still be there for me?"

"Right here." his mom spoke from the doorway, her arms crossed. Then she walked over to her husband, gesturing to them both before hooking their arms together. "We'll be right here."

The three boys smiled at each other, Jack grabbing David's hand and putting his other arm around Race's shoulder as they all walked out of the room.