Chapter 4-Boys And Girls And Everything In Between

"It was a good day." Les said.

The Jacobs family were all sat around the dinner table later that night.

Mayer nodded.

"And then my friend treated me nicely, and then my teacher read to us, and then i'm growing, and then Jeanny Lewis loves me. I think it's because i'm growing."

Mayer nodded.

"It wasn't a good day," Sarah said, "and then, my friend pulled my hair out, and then my teacher took my phone away, and then, my teacher was also one of my friend's moms' and my brothers' boyfriend's moms'."

"At least you're growing."

"Honey, please don't come apart, look at this as a wonderful way to spend time with your family."

Sarah smiled at her little brother.

"Hello, Sarah."

"How ya doin?"

"Wanna hear about my day? It was a good da-"

"Mom."

Esther looked up at her son, then towards the other one sitting next to her.

"Forgive them, Les, they miss their telephones."

"Well then they can have mine."

Les handed the small purple plastic phone next to his hand to his older brother, who took it and pressed a button which made it talk.

"The cow goes-"

"Moooo!"

Davey smiled back at his brother, setting the "phone" down then turned to his mother.

"I'm not going to make it."

"Me neither."

"That's what your father thinks."

"They can't."

"Guys, please don't make your father right, it's no good for any of us when your father is right."

Sarah nodded.

Mayer pointed to his wife.

"She's right."

Davey looked down then back at his mother and father, knowing they had a part in the assignment.

"Why is she really doing this?"

His parents shared a look.

"Because we want you guys and your friends to become actual human beings. And we believe that by doing this you guys will learn to become real human beings."

The intercom rang.

"Hey losers, it's Racetrack."

Mayer pointed to the door.

"Except him."

"Y'know what?" Davey asked as him and Sarah put the cloth that was on their laps and onto the table, heading towards the door. "We are going to do this."

Sarah turned back around before she got to the door. "We are going to get through this without making a text or call."

She pressed the button. "Come on up."

"Of course you can, sweethearts, and y'know what? You're both already wonderful human beings, but every so often little tests like this are going to come up."

She hooked her arms around the twins shoulders.

"Why?" Davey asked.

"Because it's Medda's job to give you little tests, and maybe along the way, you guys are going to learn a little more about yourselves.