Chapter 10- Always There

"You made your point, okay?" Jack said from David's bay window. "You didn't come to school today and your teacher is really upset with you."

Racetrack shook his head, typing on a laptop. "She's not my teacher anymore. I now attend attend a prestigious online academy." he pressed a button and a mans' voice with a Brooklyn accent came on.

"Welcome to the Frank Mantucci on Da Computer School, where you's get out of it what you put into it. And what you need to put into it is four hundred dollars. Gimme."

"You paid that?" Sarah asked from her brothers' bed, incredulous, sitting up on her elbows.

"Free trial. I took a test to see if I qualify for the free trial."

"Tony, it's a scam! They take anybody!"

"Congratulations!"

"I got in!"

"You are the first person to ever fail the Frank Mantucci on Da Computer School. How'd you do dat?"

"How'd you do dat?" Jack mimicked, his Manhattan accent making him sound more like a Brooklynite, similar to what Spot sounded like if he got to into a emotion.

"We asked: 'Name?' You didn't put nuttin."

"Well, at least you were smart enough not to give them your name." Davey said, hopeful.

"It's not that i'm smart enough."

"Then what is it?"

"Maybe, sometimes...i'm not so proud of who I am."

The door opened, Esther walking in. "How's it going in here?"

"Mrs Jacobs," Jack said and pointed to Race, "tell Racetrack to go back to school- real school."

Esther hummed. "So you don't like this, huh?"

"Of course not." David said. "Racetracks' our best friend, he always comes to school with us.

"Yeah, he picks him up at 7:00. I look forward to it!" Jack exclaimed.

"Like a tradition?"

"Yeah! Oh..." Jack got it. "You know, even though you're a mother, that was creepy good."

Esther chuckled. "So, Anthony doesn't show up like he's supposed to and how does that make you feel, Jack and Sarah?"

Sarah and Jack put their hands over their chests.

"Oh..."

Esther nodded. "Honey, you have to go to them, they feel bad. You have to go to your mother and father."

Race raised a hand.

"I feel bad. Will she come to me?"

Jack shook his head. "No. She's your teacher, she doesn't have to."

Esther turned to him.

"But he will."

Race's brows furrowed and he muttered a, "What?"

"He doesn't have to," Esther said, "but she will. They will."

"Why?" Sarah asked.

"Because they're always there."

The door opened, Medda coming inside to offer a hand wordlessly to Racetrack, who took it, before they both walked out to the hall.

Esther turned back to the three.