Chapter 4

On Monday, I stepped into Homeroom with my eyes fastened to my shoes. I sat down at my usual table with Blake and Ana already waiting.

"Hey!" Ana said cheerily. I nodded curtly. Immediately she sobered up and shot Blake a wary look. I fixated my attention on my phone before they could ask any questions. An ever-present tension danced around our table.

"Haze... something bothering you?" Blake asked. Yes, actually, but I can't tell you that because I wasn't supposed to know. But instead, I shook my head, desperately wanting to focus on the words from the story I was reading. Instead, my eyes skimmed the same sentence repeatedly as their eyes stayed on me.

"You're acting weird," Ana said pointedly. "Something's up. What is it?"

I wouldn't tell them; they didn't want to let me know they had feelings for each other. So I was going to be upset.

Our table sat in silence until the bell rang. I waved and then zipped out of the classroom. Eyes burned into the back of my head in the hall, causing me to spin around, expecting to see Ana catching up to me.

It wasn't her.

Grey strolled down the hall, this group of friends surrounding him. They were in conversations amongst themselves, but his eyes drilled holes into mine. Heat flooded into my cheeks and my eyes watered from the heat. I quickly returned my focus forward and navigated the sea of miserable high school students. Even in the crowd, I could still feel Grey behind me.

Andy stood in the doorway of math, and I was instantly relieved to see him. I threw myself into his arms; he clumsily caught me.

"You okay?" he asked, surprise laced into his voice. I nodded, too tense to do anything but that, and waited for Grey to pass by. He ignored us. "Was that jerk bothering you?"

I removed myself from him, shaking my head. My eyes chased Grey's form as it disappeared into his class down the hall. I reluctantly pulled out my phone and typed, I'm just a little nervous around him after the party. But, it was more than that. I was worried because he remembered that he had a dream about me. And then we were in another dream together. I was in dangerous new territory.

Andy searched my face. "What the heck did he say that it made you so nervous?"

"Ahem, enough with the lovey display; I want to start class," Mr. Johnson said. We both blushed with shame and hurried to our seats. I hope nobody heard our conversation. How long had the class died down?

I could hardly focus. Grey, Ana, and Blake robbed me of my focus. Class stretched out at an agonizingly slow pace but was still over too quickly. I slowly packed my things and headed toward the door. Andy caught up with me, escorting me in silence to my next class. I nodded appreciatively, which he returned with a smile before I entered English. Unfortunately, he had Spanish, so he disappeared down the hall with a mass of other students.

Mindy already sat in our corner, bag as a placeholder for me. She looked up from her phone as I got close with an expectant smile.

"Well, if it isn't my favorite person," she teased as she moved her bag. I rolled my eyes and slid into the seat next to her.

I searched through my bag for my Macbeth book when a familiar blond head bounded into the room. Her hazel eyes no longer had tears ready to overflow, and her pin-straight hair fell past her shoulders, bursting onto her backpack.

Sasha. She was gorgeous, but not because she was blond—that disclaimer needs to be put out there. I swear you could dye her hair green or shave her head for all I care, and she'd still be stunning.