Chapter 27

Later that night, I phased into Grey's dream wearing a nightgown that looked medieval, and a servant was leading me down a dimly lit hallway.

"Your husband is awaiting you in your chambers," she spoke softly. A small smile overtook my face. My husband, huh?

"He requested you come immediately," she continued. "He says you and him have some important things to discuss." I followed her down the hall until we finally arrived at a heavy, wooden door. Guards pushed the door open for her, and she bowed in front of Grey. He turned and looked at us with a smile. His low white v-shirt exposed the muscles underneath. My eyes lingered as he commanded the female, "Leave us. Close the door behind you."

She bustled out as the doors groaned and shut behind us.

I smiled slyly at Grey. "So... you're my husband now."

"Maybe," he said. He put the piece of paper he was holding down and approached me slowly. "How do you feel being my wife?"

I traced my hand across the exposed part of his chest. "Do you expect me to say something profound? All I can think about is skin."

He laughed and then pulled his shirt off.

"Abs," I said.

"You are so goofy," he said while laughing some more.

I hugged him tightly and pressed my ear into his chest. "And you are so warm."

His arms wrapped underneath my butt and lifted me off the ground. I gasped, surprised. He carried me over to the bed and softly dropped me down.

"It's warmer in bed," he said. He hovered over me briefly, lying down next to me and placing a soft kiss on my cheek. I faced him and traced lines across his chest.

"Enjoying yourself?" he asked, amused.

"You have no idea," I said. He pulled me close and kissed me slowly. My heart rate immediately began to speed up. He was about to deepen the kiss when there was a knock on the door.

He pulled away and asked, "Who is it?"

"Sire, you haven't forgotten, have you?" a muffled voice said from the other side of the door.

"Uh..." he looked at me, confused. "Forgotten what?"

"The enemy is approaching the outskirts of the walls!" the voice said urgently.

"Oh, crap!" Grey muttered. "That was the whole point of the dream. You distracted me."

He jumped up and pulled me with him. "Are you ready?"

I took a deep breath to compose myself. "Yeah, sure. Who are we fighting?"

"The rival King. He's come to steal you from me." He smirked. "But we won't be letting that happen."

"I love how I'm the damsel, but I'll also be fighting alongside the battle."

"You think I'd let you sit back and be helpless?" He scoffed. "Are you a joke to yourself?" I laughed.

"I hate you," I teased. Grey smiled as he began getting dressed appropriately for battle. I followed suit until I realized I had to change out of my gown. He zipped up his boots and then looked at me.

"What are you waiting for?" he asked.

"I have to change."

He paused before letting out a heavy breath. "You... okay. I'm going to go with the guards. Meet me at the front gates." He lingered for a second before quickly making his way to the door and pushing it open. I let out the breath I was holding as the doors closed behind him. I quickly got undressed as the voices receded down the hall. As I changed, the quiet around me got intense. I pulled the armor across my body and fastened it tightly.

I grunted as I pushed open the heavy door, only for a man I've never seen before to be standing with his arms folded across his chest to be waiting for me. He looked smug as he looked me up and down.

"The Queen goes out for battle as well?" he said, pushing himself off the wall. He began to circle me. "You marry him instead of me, the one person who would've put you out of harm's way?"

He reaches for my arm, and I cringe away from him. He looks at me amused as he grabs my arm roughly and brings me close to him. "What are you afraid of, love?"

He attempted to reach for me again, which I quickly evaded.

"Don't touch me," I said.

"You will be my Queen, darling," he hissed. "You have no other choice in the matter." I tried to move away, but my legs locked. He grabbed me and hoisted me over his shoulder.

"Put me down!" I shouted.

"Sir, he's downstairs waiting for her," I heard a voice say.

"Then we'll escape through the roof again," he said.

"Grey!" I shouted. "Help me!" My voice echoed down the halls and the stairway.

"Gag her!" he hissed. Immediately the man shoved a gag into my mouth, and he threw a cloth bag over my head. They also tied my hands behind my back and feet together, although I kicked and fought against them.

"That's better," he said. I couldn't see where they were taking me. I was carried upstairs and to the roof, which was hit by warm, humid air. They stopped short as Grey's voice came from before us, saying, "Where do you think you're going with my wife?"

Finally!

"You took this wench from me," the king below me growled. My stomach felt the vibrations of his voice. "I'm only taking back what's rightfully mine."

"Put her down," Grey said, his voice calm. "I don't want to have to hurt you." He removed me from his shoulder and placed me down on the ground. Immediately I felt the sharp end of a sword or dagger placed against my throat.

"If I can't have her, no one can," he growled. I expected to feel the impact and wake up, but instead, the man let out a surprised yelp, and the blade was off my neck. The bag got pulled off my head, and Grey looked down at me with a smile.

"I'm legit your knight in shining armor," he said. I rolled my eyes playfully. He removes the gag from my mouth and cuts open the ropes.

"Where did he go?" I asked. "And all the men with him."

"I just dreamt up a hole in the ground," Grey said, voice thick with laughter. "They're good, though. They're probably finding a way back up here or to the battlefield." He turns and picks up a bow and a quiver full of arrows. "Are you ready to fight?"

"Definitely."

"All righty, then," he said. He whistled, and out of nowhere, two big birds flew down from the sky. They looked like giant hawks and slightly startled me.

"Don't tell me you're afraid of birds," Grey said as they landed. He pet his giant hawk's face.

"I'm afraid when I don't expect them," I said. I pet mine's face as well, and it rubbed into my hand. I went around it and saw a saddle already attached to its back. I hopped on, and we flew up into the sky. Using my bow, I aimed at the people below, fighting against each other. Then, spotting an enemy as we swooped in close, I aimed and fired.

***

We won the battle.

The made-up king was defeated and sent home with his tail between his legs. He looked back at me, longing, but I just nodded at him in the direction he needed to keep walking in. The made-up people on our side began to cheer and then gradually walked back into the city's walls. Our hawks flew up in the sky while we stood on the battlefield with grins.

"That was so much fun," Grey said.

"I think that's the coolest dream we've had together by far," I said.

"Nah, I don't think so," he said. He took my hand and led me back to the gate, our guards following us.

"No? What's the best dream we've had, in your opinion?" I asked.

"I liked the dream where we were in the ocean with all the pretty lights," he said. My heart warmed as the gates closed behind us.