Chapter 17

We were way too close to each other. My wrist was sandwiched firmly between our chests, and I hardly had the strength to look up at him, let alone stand up straight. My legs felt like jello, and my heart thundered in my chest with anticipation and sickening nervousness.

His arms wrapped around my waist and the nerves jittering around exploded in excitement. Too many sensations cluttered my mind. I stared at a single spot on his chest. I wanted to get lost in it all—his arms were firm around me, the surprisingly pleasant smell emanating from his breath, and we were nearly flushed against each other. It all felt so right.

I don't think he anticipated us being in this position. He didn't move for a moment; he was just as still as I was.

His hand slowly moved up my back and reached around to grab hold of my chin. He looked me in the eyes.

"Can I kiss you...?" His grip on my face loosened, probably so I could nod or shake my head. I didn't know what to do.

"Get away from her!" Ana exclaimed. I spun around as I yanked myself out of his arms. Mindy stood there with Ana and Andy. They must've come looking for me when I didn't pick up the phone.

Andy stepped between Grey and us. Grey looked back at me, almost desperately, and I looked away.

"Her phone," Grey said through grit teeth, and Andy reached for it, snatching it away. Then, after a few moments, Andy hissed, "Good riddance." I looked up and past him. Grey was gone.

"Let's get back to Blake and Arnold," Andy said, grabbing my wrist and leading us down the path.

***

We hung out for a while longer before we decided to call it a night. Mindy was silent for a bit on the drive home, which was unusual. I glanced at her several times and shifted uncomfortably. Once we were finally outside my house, she parked the car and said, "So." I pulled out my phone, ready for whatever was about to come.

"I like Andy."

I blinked. Mindy's confession was confusing. They always seemed to butt heads, even back in middle school. So the fact that she liked him was shocking—in a good way.

She laughed and said, "Yeah, I know, I know. I like Andy. And you're probably wondering what that has to do with tonight." I nodded. She took a deep breath and whispered, "I'm positively sure he likes you."

Another blindside and another blink. "You didn't know?" I shook my head with a frown.

"But, you like Grey, right?" she asked hopefully. "'Cause, the last thing I want is to like the same person as a friend I hold closely in my heart. Because no matter what, I can't help it; I'd have to let you have him. And that would hurt so much. I wouldn't be able to stand it and—"

I waved my hands and pulled her into a tight hug. She sighed. I pulled away and then typed, I don't know how I feel about Grey, but I definitely don't like Andy.

She was back to normal as she exasperatedly asked, "How can you not know how you feel about him? You don't let any guy hold you like that."

Frustrated, I typed, I'm sure he'll be back with Sasha tomorrow morning. I can't waste my time viewing him any other way.

"I can't argue that," Mindy said, much to my disappointment. "But you both have feelings for each other. I don't know what it is with you guys, but I feel your bodies fit together perfectly."

I laughed and typed, Our bodies? Not even our personalities?

"Hey! You think I'd believe that one of the brightest, bravest, funniest, and loyalist people in this school would honestly fit in well with one of the notorious bad boys who's supposedly also a softy?" She gave me a giant eye roll. "He's a good actor, that's for sure, but I know you could do so much better. But at the same time, you're both cute together. So..." She shrugged and let out a giggle.