Chapter 20

"Does it matter?" I signed. My eyes pleaded with his to not push it further. I couldn't keep this act up. And if he ended up knowing, there was so much to be wary about. These questions could be Grey still trying to mess with me for all I knew. I couldn't just give in so easily. I couldn't be that dumb.

"It does, Hazel," he said. He rose and grabbed my hands before I could step away. "If what happened in those dreams are real... if all those things we shared that one dream I had with—about you a few months ago had any truth, then I like you more than I've ever liked anyone before."

He let out a heavy breath and let go of my hands. "It doesn't make sense. I feel like we share dreams, or my mind is obsessed with you. And if it's just my mind, then we have absolutely nothing. And, I don't want that to be true." He looked down at the water. "I've stayed away from you this rest of the school year because I knew I couldn't chase after you when I helped make your life miserable. Sasha hurt you and I let her." His jaw tightened. "So by letting her, I didn't deserve you."

He hesitated for a moment. Loud sounds continued to pour out of the house as a silence spread between us. Grey looked like he was thinking hard in thought. Then his eyes brightened.

"You said..." He didn't finish his sentence. Instead, he lifted my shirt slightly before I could stop him. There was a birthmark on my upper hip that I told him about in the deep talk dream. I was embarrassed by it and explained that's why I hated bikinis. I froze, and so did he. After another shared moment of silence, he let go of my shirt. It fell against my waist. His face was impassive as he looked into my eyes.

"We share dreams." He said it as a matter-of-fact now. "We share dreams."

I couldn't think fast enough. There was no logical excuse I could give. I don't wear revealing clothes, nor do I post on social media often. 

Nobody saw my body. Ever.

He took a step closer to me. "Can I kiss you, Hazel?"

My face flushed. I wanted him to kiss me. Very badly. But I couldn't lift my fingers to say so; my hands shook nervously at my side. 

He lifted my hand and kissed it softly. It burned where his lips touched. I was so distracted by the feeling they left behind that I didn't realize his lips were on my cheek. They were soft as they gently pressed into my skin. He pulled away, and his fingers gently traced my other cheek.

With a burst of courage, I tilted my head up towards him. His lips met mine moments later. They were soft, and his face was so warm. His feathery breath mingled with mine as our noses pressed together—this was so different from the dreams. Something so real felt so fake and hard to capture. I felt his hands reach for mine, pulling them to his neck. We pressed into each other as our lips danced. 

I couldn't get enough of him. I don't think I even ever felt this way about anyone before. Not that I ever dated anyone, but you get the point.

I finally took a moment to pull away. We stayed confined to one another, slightly breathless. I ran my fingers through his hair as he tightened his grip around my waist. We smiled and enjoyed our quiet. I needed him to stay holding me. I couldn't bear the thought of him letting go, even though I knew he'd have to.

I don't know what we were saying to each other wordlessly. Grey's eyes held mine before he placed several feathery kisses on my lips. His hand ran through my hair as the other pulled me even closer to him, which was nearly impossible, but somehow he did it. We stayed there sharing those sweet kisses until a loud voice boomed from in the house, saying, "Grey, bud, where are ya? We need ya to get back to your party!"