Chapter 21

I woke up smiling.

I loved being in my lucid dreams because those were fun. But being in a lucid dream with someone aware they were dreaming and knew they shared it with me was amazing.

I was awake for maybe five minutes recounting the dream when I got a text from Grey.

Grey
Did we have the same dream?

Me
What happened in yours?

Grey
We held onto a great white shark's fin until we floated over an underwater city

Me
and then we were greeted by a creature that was a cross between a starfish and a turtle?

Grey
Yes! So much happened it was so much fun. That is honestly so cool

It warmed my heart to read those words, as meaningless as they may have been to him. No one else has ever shared something like this with me. And the fact that I was able to make it enjoyable for him made it even better. Before I could respond, My mom knocked on my door. Startled, I closed my phone and sat up. She smiled at me, surprised. "Oh, you're awake! I'm going grocery shopping. Did you want anything?"

"No," I signed. "Thank you."

"All right, I'll be back soon," she said and shut the door.

I unlocked my phone again to see Grey's new messages.

Grey
Ready for our date later today? 😁

Me
Yes!!! I'm so excited

Grey
I'm glad. I'm nervous lolol

Me
Grey and nervous don't seem like they fit together

Grey
Then you and I have a lot to learn about each other

Me
I'm very happy about that fact

Grey
Same. I have to make up for a lot of crap that I've done btw

Me
I'll hold you to that 😛

Grey
You should 😌 send me your address okay? I gotta go help my dad with some stuff for my sister (she's staying over in California with my aunt and uncle over the some instead of coming back from her boarding school), but I'll call you when I'm getting ready to get you. Cool??

Me
Sounds good!

Grey's sister! I never got to see her because she was still an unborn child with whom I learned of her existence. I hoped to meet her soon, though. 

My nerves ran wild as I waited for Grey. I scrutinized my outfit several times, gave Timmy excited belly rubs which would rile him up—he'd run off and grab his favorite toy, growling at me to take it from him as he ran away with it—and laid in bed with excited butterflies filling my tummy.

When I got the ping of his ringtone letting me know he was downstairs, I practically ran out of the house. If it weren't for my mom being back from grocery shopping, we'd be in the car, happily flooring it down the street.

"Baby... you didn't tell me your plans...?" my mom said from the kitchen as I slipped my shoes on. My happiness came screeching to a halt. My mom—wasn't strictly okay with me having a boyfriend. If I recall correctly, she said once I was in college and out of her hair, that's when I could think about dating.