Chapter 2 - Before

Eren's P.O.V:

I curiously watched the raven-haired man as he gazed over my bullet wound. Slowly removing the bloodied and torn cloth plastered on the painful wound.

Why was Levi helping me? Wasn't he the man that wanted me dead more than anyone else? Or was he doing this just to torture me?

"Good news," He announced, "the bullet isn't there. Your shoulder is just badly grazed."

My visions began to clash before I could respond, and my head lightened to the point where it felt like a dream.

My sight grew hazy. It was getting really hard to see... And it felt like I was seeing, feeling, and hearing...in third person.

"Don't go to sleep, dammit. I can't bear the thoughts of being alone," I heard Levi growl.

So that's all he wants from me? Just a white noise so he doesn't feel afraid? Is that it?

My drooping eyes looked over my now tightly wrapped shoulder. I just wanted to die, now. Having barely anything to live for... I don't want to be a tool to a man I hate. But being so weak, and with Levi's damned persistence, I couldn't die even if I tried.

"I said don't."

I mumbled a few curses under my breath. But slowly started to feel my head coming back to me after being so high in the clouds...

"Good, brat. Stay the fuck alive or so help me I will..." Levi trailed off with an obvious scoff.

I couldn't help but let my gaze lift to see his expression. It was a strange mixture of fear, and hate. But it was terribly hidden behind a poorly composed poker-face.

"If we're going to stay alive, we need to find water to wash all the disease off of us," Levi said, but with a softer tone when he said the word 'washing'.

"What...about me then?" I asked quietly. My voice quivering from the unsteadiness due to the large blood loss.

"You can stay here for the time being. I'll be back," Levi replied.

I gave a weak nod, and watched him as he walked off into the trees until he was out of my sight.

I don't trust him. Not the smallest bit. But I know he will be back. Levi seems to have a problem with being alone in the woods. Or being alone in general.

My head was still feeling a bit off, but I didn't feel like I was on the verge of death anymore. So to pass the time, I decided to watch the clouds drift by as the trees surrounding me rustled from the gentle wind caressing my cheeks. Giving them a slight rosy hue due to the slight chill.

Is Mikasa alive? Or is the love of my life gone?

~Long Flashback~ (Eren is presently ten)

"Eren! Stop being so silly!" Mikasa laughed. Pointing at the marks on my cheeks made of mud to look like a mud warrior.

I giggled along with her. We were so young and innocent. My best friend, Mikasa, always hung around and protected me from my stupid actions. She was intelligent, but not so smart when angered.

"Your daddy is fighting again," Mikasa said suddenly, making me lower my expression a little bit.

My father was constantly attacked by the neighboring king, Levi. He was a little young, being twenty four, but it wasn't too bad considering the youngest queen being nineteen.

I would always be told stories of the bloody battles. Slightly censored for my little child mind, of course. But they were still awesome. My dad being stalked by a spy, an assassination attempt, or just a full blown war were common. And I was always told it happened due to the greed of Levi.