Chapter 18 - Angels

Eren's P.O.V:

My eyes were closed and my hands were shaking. The gun in my possession clattered to the floor as I forced myself to see if I had successfully hit Zinx.

I didn't see the bullet hole, and Zinx seemed unaffected by it. Maybe he could regenerate? It seemed so, as Zinx was making a gurgling chortle noise that sounded similar to laughter. Before I could find where I dropped my weapon, the beast had lost Levi somewhere. Jumping down from its perch and landing just a meter short of my trembling form.

This was familiar. I'm paralyzed, and there's something trying to kill me. If I don't move now, I will be killed. My feet feel like they're glued to the floor. I can't move...even if I tried.

And just like last time, right before my death at the hands of an assassin, Petra had came out of thin air. Two pistols in her grasp as she started shooting at Zinx. I was about to tell her that Zinx could regenerate, but was surprised to find that the beast was affected by these. Red holes beginning to dot its black body.

Letting out a furious roar, Zinx had swatted Petra to the ground with one sweep of its talons. I have to move now.

Due to the large hole in the ceiling, the beast had extra room to move, allowing its enormous wings to outstretch and pump downwards. Sending blasts of wind to knock me off my feet, and on my ass.

Rummaging through my pocket, I cut my finger on something sharp. Revealing a short knife I had pocketed during my earlier time to protect myself from Levi and anyone else dangerous. I must have kept it with me.

If I got the other eye, Zinx would be fully blind...but where did my bullet go? Did I hit him somewhere else? Or did I pull a stupid and hit the walls behind him?

"Eren!" Petra screamed. Her spine being broken by the same talons that had knocked her on the ground, and a sickening snap rang in my ears.

I need to get out of here, this place is too dangerous.

Before I could act on that thought, a wave of heat blew across my face as scorching fire melted the rubble beneath, and I realized the monster could breath fire.

Fire. Of all the deaths, fire? Why fire? I could just feel the burning sensation on my arms as if it were eating my flesh. It must be really hot if it's able to melt the ceiling.

The beast gargled inaudible words like water. But instead of spitting out that water, it vomited white flames. Yes. Very hot.

Finally, I was able to get up, to move, and to flee.

Where's Levi?

"Bwooaaaar!" the beast roared. Constantly twitching and jerking its tail and wings trying to maneuver its way towards me through all the debris.

Easily able to squeeze through the small gaps, I ran. I need to worry about my life right now. Levi can handle himself. I shouldn't underestimate him. He can find me later, right?

Before I could ponder much more, Zinx had blown through anything in its way. Melting things with its fire and slamming its massive body into walls. Fire was starting to spread throughout the wooden objects, and brick was smashed into mere shards. Most of the people that had come because of the noise had either fled, or were watching from afar. None daring to challenge the beast before them.

I ducked under an assault of flame. Managing not to have my hair set ablaze by an inch.

"Zinx!" I cried out. Watching as the ceiling that had remained intact collapsed. Falling inwards, and right on top of it.