Chapter 4 - Blueberries

Levi's P.O.V:

On and on, I was awakening and falling back into a dreamless sleep. It was hopeless. The moon was in the middle of the sky, signaling it was around midnight.

The only good thing about drifting in and out of unconsciousness was the fire. I had to keep that going or I would be humiliated again. Likely, Eren knows way more than me about the wilderness. 

I constantly found myself glancing over at said sleeping brunet. He would stir often, and mumble gibberish. Only to relax and loll his head to the side.

A small string of saliva connected his face to the grass, making me grow more and more irritated. Even after me waking quite a few times, he was still drooling. So of course, I crawled towards him, grabbed the collar of his shirt, and wiped his cheek of the spit. Closing his slightly parted lips with my finger against his chin.

Finding my agitation wasn't satisfied, I let out an exasperated sigh, which came out more like a growl. Causing Eren to move to the side a little bit.

I longed to go home and sleep somewhere with less nature. And less Eren. His presence still kept me on edge. And he just annoys me to no end. Yes, he did nothing to purposely piss me off. But I just get this nagging feeling whenever the brunet comes across my line of eyesight.

Poking at the fire a little bit with a long stick, I bit the inside of my cheek. What if either of our kingdoms label us as dead and doesn't come looking for us? That would be even more annoying than the brat. 

My eyes drooped and I yawned, so I eagerly laid my head on a cloth I snagged from Eren, and drifted into yet another lonely, dreamless rest.

~~~

A rough shake caused my eyes to unwillingly open. Scooting away from the man awakening me.

"You can't sleep all morning," Eren said. Sounding slightly irritated.

"I can do whatever the fuck I want, thank you very much," I spat. Turning over so I faced away from Eren. His hand gently shaking my shoulder yet again.

Before he could withdraw his arm, I grabbed his wrist. Digging into the fragile skin with my fingernails, I sat up. Looking the brunet in the eyes before throwing his good arm back at him. Watching as he started to bleed.

"Piss off."

Eren pressed his lips into a straight line. Getting upright with a stumble, and walking over to the clearing we slept the night before. Which was only seven or eight feet away.

Turning my attention towards the dying flame next to me, I threw another large chunk of wood into the pit. Which was ever so slowly eaten up by the embers.

My stomach growled. And I groaned. Me, being a slight over thinker, tends to forget about feeding myself. Which as ridiculous as it sounds, is true.

Right before I could stand up and go find something to satisfy my hunger, Eren started shouting. Making me snap my head over to the brat. Who was leaning into some bushes like an idiot.

"What are you doing?" I asked. Pushing him aside to find some dark blue berries.

"I found blueberries!" He exclaimed. And to my surprise, he shoved some of them into his mouth. 

"Wait! Are you sure those are edible?" I asked him with furrowed brows. Slapping his hand and causing the berries to scatter all over the grass beneath his feet.

"Yes. They're edible. I used to eat these all the time." Eren sighed. His eyes locking on nothing in particular as he blanked out.

"Oh."