Goodbye friend

The day was hot, dry and sticky. Luckily, your group found themselves to be in an abandoned city so there were shady places to walk under. At the top of the huge buildings, it looked like a fire had destroyed everything, the best way of describing it was the aftermath of a war.

Sand coated the ground so you couldn't actually tell where the pavemented was. Cars were crushed and blackened littered around or crashed into each other. You kept your guard up wary there might be a Crank hiding somewhere waiting to attack. You wondered what this place looked like before the Flare struck. It was a big city so surely there used to be hundreds of people living here.

You made your way down a bridge and walked along the sandy floor, the buildings looked even bigger and scarier the closer you got. There must be hundreds and thousands of Cranks hiding inside them, waiting for an unalert human to wander across their path.

"What the hell happened to this place?" Fry voiced what everyone was thinking

"Nothing good," You suggested looking at the damaged buildings. 

"I don't know," Newt added, "But it doesn't look like anyone has been here in a long time."

"I hope the whole worlds not like this," Aris spoke quietly looking around at the buildings sadly.

"Woah, hang on stop!" Thomas said looking worried. You turned and looked at him eyebrows raised. "Do you hear that?"

Everyone listened carefully to see if they could hear it. Straining your ears you realised Thomas was right, you could hear something humming, almost vibrating through the air.

"What is that?" You asked Thomas who shook his head. 

"I can't hear anything," Frypan complained. 

"Get down! Everybody hide," Thomas shouted, the sound was becoming louder and louder, whatever it was getting closer. You felt Minho grab your hand and he pulled you along with everyone as you dashed to hide under a fallen bit of rock.

A huge Wicked Burg flew over you accomplished by two helicopters. "Shit," you muttered watching as they flew directly over.

"They're never going to stop looking for us. Are they?" Minho questioned from next to you, you looked at him sadly. You all knew what the answer was. Wherever you went you would always need to be checking over our shoulder to see if we're being followed. In your eyes that was no life, constantly hiding, might as well be back in the Maze.

~

"Brilliant," You complained sarcastically, you had decided you hated sand. No, it didn't take you long to come to this conclusion. You started to ascend a huge dune, you could only imagine how much harder it was for Winston who was just behind the group. He was still weak from nearly being dragged through a doorway but he insisted he was alright. "Come guys almost there," Thomas encouraged from the front.

Eventually, you made it to the top and far in the distance the mountains were visible. "There that's the mountains. That's gotta be it," Thomas said obviously.

"Nah, I thought it was the ocean," you said sarcastically and without mercy. You were hungry, tired and hot. The worst combination so your sarcasm and attitude were increasing.

"Shut up, Y/n," Thomas told you softly. You were about to argue but Minho grabbed your hand stopping you. He was right, an argument probably wasn't the best course of action. Everyone was feeling like clunk so what was the point in arguing and making everyone feel worse.

"They're a long way off," Newt sighed pushing the sweaty hair off his forehead.

"We better get moving," Thomas instructed. You fixed the straps on your bag and prepared to keep going. However, Winston suddenly fainted breathing heavily as he fell forwards onto the dune.