Wings X Of X Flames

'italics' means thoughts of a person or an animal or tree, also used for emphasizing. Animals and trees don't necessarily talk, but can be understood by Sayomi as she only translates them.  

"Normal" writing is obviously for normal writing.  

'Bold italics' is when a person with blood lust, or something really dark is spoken. It just heightens tension.  

*insert Japanese word* - a Japanese word that has a meaning which will appear as an *asterisked word* that will contain the meaning of it.  

X • X • X 

-----Chapter Four: Wings X Of X Flames 

          It took Sayomi and the other participants to arrive at their destination quite some time, but not long as they got there fairly quicker than expected. Sayomi thought that the examiner and the chairman were joking when they mentioned the name Mt. Split-in-Half. It was such a ridiculous name, it must have been a nickname.

They weren't joking though. They arrived at a flat, high land with a literal split in the middle to make two halves of the mountain. The participants hovered over the large crack that was like a cliff. They stared in awe, and some stared in fear. Sayomi felt a faint gust of wind blow her fringe away. 

"Now, everyone...Look down there." Menchi instructed, standing over the edge with confidence.  

"What is that?" Someone asked.  

Down below were large, long silky lines that connected to one spot to another. The white lines that looked like thread that almost seemed endless. It had clear patterns that made Sayomi realise exactly what they were. Further down she saw many bags of whatever it was holding hanging by a thin thread. Was the examiner crazy enough to make them jump there without parachutes?  

"A Spider Eagle's Web," Menchi answered eventually as Sayomi crouched down low.  

"They build webs down there?" The familiar voice of the mountain boy sounded. It was then a sudden and stronger gush of wind blew Sayomi's hair from her shoulders. The fat man who was unconscious moments ago were terrified and he takes a step back from the edge.  

"Look below the webs."  

"Those are..."  

"Those are Spider Eagle eggs."  

"Spider Eagles build their webs in deep ravines, to protect their eggs from predators," Netero explained, "This makes their eggs one of the most difficult ingredients obtain. The eggs are also known as dream eggs." 

"Wait a minute," The now terrified fat man muttered, with a flash of fear in his eyes, "You mean we..."  

"I sure do." Menchi answered.  

"What?"  

Menchi took a step over the edge and fell. People almost had a heart attack watching her descend into the mists. To their surprise, Menchi catches the web in time and spins to slow herself down. She then stopped, and waited patiently and quietly. Menchi was looking down into the pit of nothingness. What was she waiting for? 

"Even if she grabs some eggs," Number four hundred and three, the sweaty man with the suit and tie from before began, "How will she climb back up?"  

Sayomi looked back down and saw that Menchi suddenly had let go. She drops down and successfully catches an egg from the sack of eggs, only to continue falling down. Sayomi thought that they'd have to wait for a sound from below and pick up her body. Would they even pick her body up?  Sayomi breathed, eyeing the webs. She was tempted to try it out herself, without dying of course.