Chapter Five

Tyler |

The purr of the engine under my feet helped sooth away some of the anxiety I was feeling as I drove home.

It was late now, and I had just left Natalie's house, content that I no longer had to listen to her sexually threaten me with what she says is a good time.

Tightening and untightening my grip on the steering wheel, I blankly gawked at the seemingly endless road before, emotionless to my chaotic thoughts.

Natalie.

Something about her is undeniably mesmerizing in a way that keeps me distracted, while some other things completely make me question what I see in her.

Well... being that I really just want to forget about what happened between Greyson and I, having her to take my mind off of it helps... but... it doesn't work all the time.

I couldn't even just let myself enjoy a kiss from her without thinking about Greyson.

How messed up is that?

And if that isn't bad enough, wanting to kiss him instead makes the guilt fester even more.

I just have to keep acting like nothing happened... and maybe these... feelings I have for Greyson will go away.

Or maybe, it'll continue to get worse.

Greyson |

The next morning

As I turned the steering wheel, I tried to fight a frown as I reminisced about walking in on something that I really didn't expect or ever want to see.

My mind so distraught with conflicting thoughts and hundreds of different desires, the feeling of my heart being torn out my chest was almost emotionally unbearable as the thought of Tyler going out with someone weighed heavy on my mind.

Of course, him liking someone shouldn't concern me... or even make me the least bit upset.

I'm his friend.

I... I'm glad we're friends but...

Just being his friend isn't enough for me.

I know he doesn't know I like him, nor do I myself know if... he'd ever be interested in me.

But... I don't know what to do about it.

Telling him isn't an option, but watching him be so affectionate with other people... it's just... it's such an awful feeling knowing I won't ever be on the receiving end of any of it.

I quickly pushed my thoughts to the back of my mind as I pulled into Tyler's driveway, waiting for him to come out of the house any second.

When minutes passed, I checked my phone to see that he hadn't texted me, letting me know he'd slept in or anything.

As much as I didn't want to, I decided to get out of my car to knock on his front door.

Remembering that his parents were still mad at me, I figured that turning around to leave wouldn't help me find out where Tyler was.

Besides, vases are replaceable.

The door knob began to move and I anticipated the moment when it would happen... whose face I would see when it swung open.