Chapter Twenty Three

Greyson |

With those heavy words escaping Tyler's glistening lips, he rendered me speechless; letting endless silence fill the room, allowing the blustering sounds of booming thunder and the pelting rain upon the ceiling become more audible.

Tyler helplessly stared at me with fleeting hope in his eyes, the electric blue current of his gaze sending chills down my spine as I trembled in my spot.

A mental battle played on in my mind as I debated whether or not to believe him, wondering if questioning his truthfulness in the first place was bad on my part.

My accelerated pulsating heart pounding harshly against my chest, my entire body seeming to throb with each thump.

Tyler timidly averted his eyes and stared down at the floor as if he were getting scolded by his parents, his bleach blonde hair falling into his face creating a veil over his eyes.

"I... love you Greyson," he whispered sweetly once more.

With my lips parting to stutter, I fell silent moments later.

What I saw in the cafeteria was exactly what I was afraid would happen.

It happened in my dream...

And with them going out before, I... it was just something that I... expected?

"You've seen how manipulative the girl can be. She might not care about that sort of thing... being with one and only one person."

But... expecting for something to happen... was my fault wasn't it?

Am I just overreacting?

Tyler...

He...

Tyler wouldn't.

Tiredly lifting my eyes to stare into Tyler's pleading stare, his heavy breaths and shaking hands catching my attention.

Why would he ever lie?

"Tyler... I–"

"I'm sorry," he whispered. "I never should've let her get so close," he continued, shaking his head as he looked off into space.

He visibly grew upset as he tugged his hair out of his face, his eyebrows furrowing.

"I let this happ–"

"Tyler, I believe you... okay?"

Tyler |

Greyson's breathless voice strained over mine as the outburst seemed to physically drain him even more.

Stumbling to stand from the bed to let his eyes fall to the floor and slowly back up to me," he softly exhaled.

"I... I believe you."

Apprehensively walking over to stand in front of me, with his puppy eyed stare intently focused on mine, his lips slightly parted as he breathed through his mouth with exhaustion.