Chapter 14: Go Fish

Enzo's POV

Whoever screamed better be dying because they just ruined my perfect moment to tell Jane how I felt about her. Why are we always interrupted? Because of this person, I had to excuse myself from our conversation, "Stay here." and go search for the owner of the scream.

Walking down the kitchen hallway that also is the maids quarters hallway, I heard footsteps coming my way from around the corner. They sounded hesitant and light. The person was most definitely trying to stay as silent as possible. My hand went to the gun tucked in the waist of my dress pants. I pulled it out and aimed it straight ahead. One. Two. Three. I charged in front of the unknown person with my gun raised. As I did this, so did the other person.

"Fvck, you scared me!" Alessandro breathed out a sigh of relief.

What's he doing here? He didn't tell me he was coming over. Then again, he never tells me, he just shows up.

"What are you doing here?" I questioned.

"Oh come on Enzo, is it so wrong for one to come hang out with his bestie?" He threw his arm around my shoulders.

Shoving him off of me. Now was no time to make stupid jokes. "Did you hear the scream?"

"Yeah, I was on my way to find you. Where do you think it came from?"

"It sounded like it came from the foyer." The estate was silent and uncanny. We made our way to the foyer, making sure to keep our footsteps light. Before we could reach the room, gunshots rang through the air. My men yelling and running passed us to get to the scene and protect the estate. I cocked my gun and lifted my foot to go with them and fight, but Alessandro stopped me. "What are you doing?"

Giving him a confused look I responded. "I'm going to kill whoever broke into my home and started this shit."

He raised an eyebrow, "So, you're not going to make sure Jane and your mother are safe?" I stared at him with a blank face for a while. Then I opened my mouth to say something, but he beat me to it. "Just go! We don't have time for your snarky comments."

A small smile formed on my face as I turned to find Jane.... again.

I found her in the maids quarters huddling with the other maids. Well, how can I tell Jane to come with me to safety and leave the others? Shit! "All of you, come with me!" I took Jane's hand and lead them to one of the safe rooms that was hidden in the coat closet. They couldn't all fit in one room, so I took Jane hand again, gave Francesca a look, Sophia came too. All the girls fallowed me to my bedroom, then into my walk in closet. Mama was already waiting there. I pushed aside the hanging clothes, pressed my thumb to a fingerprint reader that looked like part of the shelf. The wall opened up and I told the girls the get in quickly. "The only ones that can open this door with a thumbprint are me and Alessandro. Anyone else opens this door, use this," I handed Jane a gun. She looked horrified at the black device in my hand.

Shaking her head, "No! I can't shoot anybody!" Tears started flowing out of her eyes.

I grabbed her shoulders and pulled her close. "Shhh, it going to be okay. You on,y have to use it if you're threatened." I looked into her eyes and wiped her tears away with my thumbs. "Everything will be fine. I'll be back soon, I promise." She nodded her head and took the gun from my hand.

I wanted so bad to kiss her, but people were watching, my mother is watching! Oh, what the hell! I grabbed her face with both hands and smashed my lips onto hers. I almost melted. I've kissed her before, but each time it still gives me butterflies and takes my breath away. I would stay her and kiss her forever if it weren't for the attack going on downstairs. With that thought in mind, I pulled away from the kiss and whispered to her, "Stay safe." Then I closed the door, put the clothes back in place, and went downstairs.