Chapter 22: Wild Goose Chase

Neither Jane nor Enzo said a word to each other as they traveled back to the car or as they got on the road headed back to the house.

The car ride was tense. So tense. Enzo's hands were turning white from the deathly grip he heals on the steering wheel. Jane couldn't take it anymore. "Why did you punch that guy?" She blurted.

Enzo briefly glanced at her before answering, "because, he told his friend that you were hot and he was going to get your phone number."

He had a friend with him? Hmm. I didn't even see him.

"Oh," Jane said. "well, you didn't have to beat him up. You could've just said 'no that's my girlfriend' and left it at that."

Her reasoning made Enzo chuckle. "Do you honestly think that any guy would back off if I said that?"

"Yes! Kindness is always the best way to go!"

Enzo looked at her one again. Only this time his eyes softened and a small smile was placed on the corner of his lips.

'She's really too good for you.' He said to himself.

Just as he was about to reply, red and blue lights flashed in the rear view mirror, quickly gaining on him. "Shit!"
He increased his speed going about 80 mph in a 45 mph speed limit.

Meanwhile, Jane's mind went in a tangent.
What if they catch us? Enzo will be sent to prison for sure. And me? They'd take me back home to my parents and I'd never see Enzo again. Ever.

The very thought made her fidget in her seat.
This is the most anxious she's been in her entire life.

Enzo looked in the rear view mirror again. More cops had joined the chase. One was hot on his tail, so he floored it, creating a wide distance between them. Fortunately, Enzo happened to pick the fastest car he owned. With a top speed of 217 mph those cops won't stand a chance.

Enzo took a sharp right, turning on a street that led back to the city.

Slamming on the breaks just in time. Three cop cars blocked the road ahead of him, trapping
him on both sides. There was no where for him to go.

"Enzo," Jane voiced tautly.

He didn't answer her as he shifted gears and slammed on the gas. Shooting forward at an impossible speed.

"Enzo!" He kept his eyes focused. The five officers standing in front of their vehicles darted out of the way once they realized he wasn't going to stop.

"Hold on!" He calmly warned Jane seconds before colliding with the rear of one car and the nose of another. Bursting between them and back on the road.

Enzo took several random turns before slowing down his speed to a normal limit and pulling into a dark ally. He turned off the car and and waited.

Jane's breathing was out of control, her body was shaking from head to toe, and her heart rate was through the roof.

Enzo took note of this. Turning in his seat to face her, he grabbed her hands and kissed them, "I'm not going to let them take you away from me."