Chapter 8: Nightwing's Message

***One Day Previously***

ARTEMIS

I'd gotten a message from Nightwing earlier today. It was sent to everybody on the team.

"Hey, heroes! After some pleading and negotiation on mine, Robin and Batgirl's part, we've all been authorized a stay at... dun dun dun... the WATCHTOWER! (for a limited time only)" 

"That's right, thank me later, er, us later. "

"So what we need you to do:" 

"Get all the blankets, sleeping bags, and pillows you can find. Mattresses would be nice on all that hard marble floor. (Apparently carpet is a no-no at the Watchtower, Flash and Captain Marvel spill too often.) Stuffed animals if you're feeling brave. Wrangle up snacks and refreshments."

"NO LAZIES. IF YOU DON'T SHOW UP WITH SOMETHING, YOU'RE OUT OF THIS GIG."

"Meet tomorrow, 7:00pm at the Hall of Justice. BE IN COSTUME, BUT WITH A CHANGE OF CLOTHES IF YOU WISH. The league has informed the rest of the world that we are showing up for a mandatory meeting. So just wait in front of the zeta-tubes for a league member to shoo you in. Once you're inside the Watchtower, help the rest of us prep for MOVIE NIGHT!!!"

"-Nightwing out "

Of course I wasn't going. Everyone would understand. I'd just stay here, moping on my bed with our, my, dog Brucely. I couldn't even binge on ice cream or anything, because Wally's favorite food was, well, everything.

I watched some sad Korean dramas and eventually fell asleep. 

*** The Next Morning***

When I came to, it was 11:00am. I went to check on my phone, and it opened on Nightwing's message. Was it selfish that I was having second thoughts? I wouldn't have to stay for the whole thing, just pop in, throw in some blankets, and leave. And this was super selfish of me, but I kind of wanted to come, just so the girls could trap me in hugs and beg me to stay. 

It took a long time for me to decide, like the whole day, but I grabbed my Tigress uniform, and started hunting for slumber material. 

Now for the snacks. There wasn't a lot left in the cupboards and fridge, so I drove to the nearest convenience store. I didn't even freak out the cashier anymore with all the food I bought. Both he and I were used to it since Wally likes, liked, food in abundance. 

Finally, I arrived. And then I promptly dropped everything I held when I saw what was before me.

Ugh, I know, I'm totally drawing out the moment, but I'm really looking for inspiration for that big Spitfire moment you know? Also, I feel that it deserves its own chapter. So just bear with me! It's coming soon!

-Reneryt :)