dix

Yellow of streetlights cast an unappealing glow over their skin, making them look something truly terrifying and unnatural in a way that made them appear something terrifying when they were anything but.

Marion played with the collar of Hugo shirt, eyeing the mess he had made on himself and Estelle like the childish eater that he was. He had not once had a clean feed since he was changed, perhaps even before that.

She ignored his silly grin and the giggling that came from a ruffled Esme and bemused Estelle as she attempted to make him presentable.

"Honestly, I do not understand how you have stained Estelle's skirts to the point that the dress is ruined but you have done so flawlessly," Marion grumbled, pushing her brother away when he snickered.

"Oh, dear sister! It is a skill, I assure you," he crowed and she smacked a hand over his mouth.

"Be silent, you big oaf. You shall wake the entire town you silly man," she scolded, wishing she could pinch him like she did when they were younger but skin hard as marble were nigh impossible to abuse.

"You must not abuse mother, uncle. She is far too old to joke about," Estelle teased, completely unconcerned with the state of her dress.

Marion scowled. "Oh you evil child, how you betray me."

"Marion is one of the most joyful souls I have ever met, Estelle, do not tease," Carlisle reprimands as he and Edward finally join the group.

Having all separated into pairs, they had spent long hours waiting for the two to return. Hugo said as much, taking to teasing the other two men as they made off toward the Dupuis home.

Carlisle and Marion falling into step easily as they encouraged the others to interact. For they both instinctually wanted their covens to get along.

She wondered what it would take to get Estelle to agree to travel with them for a bit instead of spending just them all the time. She debated it as she unlocked the doors, letting them in and flashing about to turn on lights - ordering for her family to go and change and to help Esme while they were at it.

Edward gravitated toward her record player, sorting through her music before deciding on an album he liked, Carlisle standing at her side as she listened intently to Estelle trying to force Esme to take one of her dresses.

It came to them standing at the entrance to the room as everyone congregated together, falling into place as though they had done this many times before. Stories were told, strung together as though they were the fabricates things of enchantment and glory.

Soon, Hugo was telling them all of how he had first met Carlisle, of the friendship they had forged. Then he was telling them of the revolution and how their lives had been saved at the grace of the man, of how he had aided in the arrival of Estelle and changing of Marion. She did not correct him as he regaled the man with praise and worship, nor when he turned it onto himself and told of the wars and strife they had all seen and witnessed.

She wondered idly if Carlisle ever regrets all he had done and accomplished. If he would change the past, save himself from eternity knowing of all the lives he had saved, the people he had helped. She wondered, as she often did whilst thinking of Rosalie if he ever wished he could have stayed his hand when turning his coven. If, like she, he thought that it would be better to just leave them to the fate they were destined without changing it. Because she could never bring herself to change Rosalie - not even if the girl asked it of her.

"Do you believe there's something out there for us after this life has ended?" Marion questioned her companion softly, looking at him as they witnessed their families interact.