quize

She wasn't sure what to do with the hollow place in her chest that only continued to grow and fester the longer she sat idle. Her hands itched to work, to do something productive with her time instead of feeling as though she was wasting away.

"How dare she treat you so horribly! They did not even say goodbye!" Estelle ranted as she passed up about the house packing away things. "They just up and left as though we had never meant a thing to them before!"

The bang of her steps echoed as she stomped up the stairs in an angry march. She made a clatter as she forced things into boxes, making a mess as she packed her things.

"We came all the way here just to see them, yet they do not pay us the respect of simply alerting us that they will be moving," Hugo muttered in distaste, clicking his tongue in annoyance at their old friends as he passed them by with arms weighed heavy with a box of his belongings.

"It is not their fault they had to leave so quickly," Marion sighed. "We are doing much the same."

"We are doing no such thing!" Estelle shrieked as she came stomping down the stairs with one of Marion's trunks fully packed. "We have told people we are leaving, we have told them why; we are not just leaving without a word like those cowards!"

She groaned, watching as her daughter disappeared back upstairs in a flurry. They refused to let her handle anything, telling her she deserved the time to relax instead of rushing around like she normally did. It was rather annoying, embarrassing even, that they treated her like an invalid that could not handle herself. They acted as though she could not do her share with high emotions, when she wanted nothing more than to be doing nusy work to help them instead of sitting around doing nothing like they insisted.

Marion sighed and bounced her leg in her seat agitatedly, trying more than anything to forget the way that she had been so betrayed, that she had told her to go away. She could not get the image of her standing their glaring in such anger and hate out of her head.

It tormented her, seared through her chest leaving behind only the wish that she could go back, pretend that it had never happened - prevent it from happening! Marion would have done so many things differently if she had known that this would be the outcome. Because it had only been about two months since the accident and only a few weeks since the incident that marked their departure from Rochester. A slaughter of horrible men that had been the cause of so much pain and heartbreak had been the perfect excuse for Estelle to loudly declare to their neighbors and acquaintances that it was no longer safe to live here with such a madman on the loose.

The families with so many ties that they could not leave envied them in their ability to flee - not knowing that the danger had already passed.

And so the story was that they wpuld return to Europe as the American police could not handle the capture of a monstrous individual that showed no mercy. A movers was ready outside, collecting the boxes and and trunks that Hugo carried from the house. They would be taking an uncomfortable voyage by ship, one filled with gaudy humans waving about money as they bragged about being able to afford first class on a new liner.

The Dupuis had payed for three cabins, first class, and would no doubt have to deal with the annoying individuals that tried to outdo their bank accounts.

She felt as though she would be sick at the thought of it all, just sitting here thinking of it all made her stomach turned in a way she did not think physically possible for her kind.

She stood to her feet in one swift motion, brushing out her clothes to free them of wrinkles before she moved to the through the house with purpose, grabbing her purse and the papers from the dining room table.