Chapter 1

The tea shop had a cozy feel to the atmosphere. I had always felt safe there and I hardly ever felt safe anywhere.

"Next!" The lady behind the counter called.

Finally! My turn. I eagerly went up to the counter.

"Red Velvet Tea please." I said with wide eyes, anxiously awaiting my drink.

The lady smiled sweetly and nodded turning to go get my tea.

I sighed, relieved that I would be getting my morning tea.

The lady returned a minute or so later with my tea. I handed her a five dollar bill and left the shop.

I happily hopped into my car and started up the engine. On instinct, I turned on the radio.

"Ooooh I'll be there,
Yeah I'm gonna
I'm gonna come through."

I grinned. I was glad that Ari knew the song and could sing along.

"Oh I swear
Got enough love for two.
Got enough love for twooooooooooooo.
I'll be there for you."

I pulled up to a red light and stopped singing. I always felt self conscious at stop lights because people could get a good look at me and my awkwardness.

I mean, I know I'm pretty but I would never admit it aloud.

I'm just too modest to admit anything good about myself to another person. My Dad used to tease me about it but I always felt terrible if I said something good about myself, almost like I'm boasting a win or bragging about my appearance or talents.

Truth is, I'm a pretty good singer and I love to read, I'm an absolute bookworm.

I was brought back to reality by the red light changing to green.

I slammed on the gas and the car lurched forward.

I had a long drive today, I was going to the cemetery in southern Virginia to see my family's graves.

Yes, my entire family. I was the sole survivor of a horrible car accident that killed my parents and siblings.

I moved away from Jenkins Glen because everyone looked at me like I was their charity case and I hated the pity the seemed to drag behind me wherever I went.

I resolved that by moving to North Carolina. I lived in Holly Springs. Lovely area.

I had chosen to go to Duke University and finish my degree which I had started at the local college in Jenkins Glen.

I currently lived alone in my apartment with my cat, Minnie.

I let my thoughts drift as I began the long drive through the wooded countryside to my family's grave sites.