Chapter 4

"Who are you?" I whispered looking the man in the eyes.

He let out a grunt and threw me over his shoulder before running through the trees. I yelped as we nearly ran into a tree but instead we ended up sitting an a crevice under a rock.

Most people would have run but I just didn't have the energy. I needed to stay alive.

Then again, did I? I mean, my entire family is dead and so is my best friend. Why not join them?

I looked up at the man who was watching me intently.

"What is your name?" I asked.

The man cocked his head to the side as if to say he didn't understand. I cocked my head to the side and arched an eyebrow.

"Can you understand me?" I asked slowly.

The man just looked more confused. I pointed to myself. "I'm Hazel."

The man looked a little less confused and he pointed to me. "Hazel." He said in a low and gravely voice that startled me and my near frozen body.

I nodded.

He pointed to himself. "Nolan." He said it twice. "Nolan."

"Nolan." I said pointing to him. He grinned and nodded.

"I need to get home." I said slowly.

Nolan seemed to understand the word home. "Where?" He asked.

"Holly Springs. It is far from here." I said standing up.

Nolan hurriedly followed me as I tried to find the road. After a while I found my way back to the road but Nolan had followed me the whole way.

I was about to step on the pavement but Nolan grabbed my arm and pulled me to his chest. "No Hazel." He said gruffly pulling me away from the road.

No doubt he had seen animals get hit by cars and roadkill.

"No, it's okay." I said pulling away from Nolan who followed me worriedly. I stepped onto the pavement and Nolan's eye widened.

"See." I said gesturing to the pavement.

Nolan followed me onto the pavement and followed me as I walked along the road, recognizing my surroundings.

We finally came upon a small town and I went straight to the police station. The heater hit my body like a wave but it was much welcomed.

"How can I help you?" The Sheriff asked me.

"My car crashed quite a ways back and I walked here but on my way I found Nolan here in the woods." I said gesturing to Nolan who looked at me concerned.

"Hazel." Nolan rested his bug warm had on my shivering shoulder.

I looked up at him.

"Home?" He asked with his head cocked to the side.

"No." I said with a sad tone.

"So I'm assuming we need to get both of you ti the hospital and I'll go get your car towed back to town." The Sheriff said looking warily at Nolan.

I nodded. "Thank you Sheriff."