Chapter 4

Kara slowly leaned in to take her seat next to Ryan, and his face quickly disappeared. I couldnt tell what was going on. It looked like he was whispering something to her by the way he leaned into the side of her face and her eyes focused on the distance. It felt like my cue to look away, and thats just what I did. My line of concentration immediately shifted away from them. I didnt want things to be awkward for Kara, but at this moment I felt things were starting to get interesting. This was the first time shed given me an evident reason to believe she may in fact, like me.

The look shed given when she walked up revealed worry in her eyes. She seemed rattled by the position shed found herself stuck in. As if instead of sitting beside Ryan, she would have rather kept walking. Walk straight by the table and out the door, only she knew she couldnt because it mightve been suspicious. It wouldve been obvious to anyone who was off the wall enough to think of me being the possible reason for her doing so. So, with that little window of chance, she knew she had no choice but to stay, keep cool and face the moment. But really, no one would have actually suspected anything except Tori, and she wasnt entertaining that theory, not yet anyway. Sage, on the other hand, had her notion at the party, but she couldnt really think something was there.

Hey, hey, hey. None of that love bird shit at the table. Chris laughed, cutting their whispers short.

Ryans beaming face finally peeked out from hiding as Kara shook her head pretentiously, attempting to bury his accusations of any lovey-dovey nonsense going on. I couldnt help laughing as I quietly observed from my seat. I was curious to see how things would play out from here.

When our classes ended, we all met in the campus parking garage. It was a lot less packed today, considering the campus was half-empty all day. Much of the attending body diminished over the course of the evening; many just taking advantage of Marias name to skip, I assumed. Tim, Chris, Kendall and I stood around our vehicles, while Tori sat in her car being dramatic over the heat.

It was a nice day out, perfect for the beach, but as we talked, it became more and more evident that wasnt much of an option for now. While they all ruled out the suggestion, footsteps from the distance crept up. We turned to find Kara coming from the business building.

Chris was the first to say what I assumed we were all thinking. Well, look-a here he started, first loud enough that only our small cluster could hear. You again, wheres Ryan? he asked in a more welcoming tone, his voice growing loud enough for her to make out his words as she approached.

Her face was much more relaxed this time than it had been in the café. She was back to her usual cool, confident self now that she was on her own. Hes at practice, she stated, satisfaction showing through that pressed grin. So, what are you guys about to do? she asked, giving off the impression of another self-invitation.

We have nothing, I breathed, revealing the reluctance in my voice. Whatd you have in mind?

She was all too eager to do anything off the premises to avoid going back to her dorm room, but she had no suggestions and quickly joined the nothing side. It didnt take long for Kendall to suggest we all just go back to Tims place. His parents were gone for the weekend, as they always were, for business. I often wondered what their jobs were, but never made it to the asking part.

We proceeded to get into our vehicles. Kendall jumped into my passenger seat while I plopped down under the wheel. It was so hot I turned the air on immediately, cranking it as high as it would go. I watched Kara graciously walk to her black, four-door Honda before I checked my phone. Then I pulled out of the parking space and stopped behind Tims truck. We sat there halted at the stop sign, giving me time to notice Kara pull up on my bumper. She sat there looking at me, and I stared back at her through my rearview mirror.