Chapter 5

I couldnt believe it. I sat sulking in Toris bed, waiting while she rummaged through her closet. She mustve changed at least ten times in and out of different outfits, interchanging tops with bottoms, shoes with tops, and whatever else she could come across to slow the process. She managed to create a few different looks before finally going back to the second one, which she still contemplated all the way out the door.

I knew Tori hadnt heard about the summer because she wouldve asked me about it by now. She didnt even know that I ran into the Taylors on the beach until the last party. I shouldve just spilled it when I first told her about Kendall; I wouldve been past this, but now I felt obligated to tell her. I just wanted this to all be over. I literally had another opportunity the other night when they were hinting at it. I had to have known that it wouldnt just disappear. Not with those two knowing about it. And what did they have against me anyway? Ever since they were dropped from the team, the tension has been thick. I knew that this moment would come, but I couldnt say a word, not today.

You look fine, I finally said, jumping at the opportunity to encourage the outfit in an attempt to put an end to her early display of fashion week. Were going to miss the opening act if we dont leave now, I reiterated, hoping it would be enough to speed her up since we were riding to the fall showcase together, which she forced on me at the last minute. I was surprised that showcases were even a thing in college, unless it was just something the smaller colleges do. I hadnt planned on going since last year was a buzz; but then, Kendall asked me about it and lately I dont know a right answer from a wrong one; but I figured it was the least I could do to be around her for the recently discovered occasion. It sure made a heck of an excuse to bail out of a long awkward ride with her after freaking out over the news of my first ever one-month anniversary relationship status.

But since classes and practice ended, I couldnt get that dreadful moment out of my head. Id never thought about having an anniversary of any sort, and I was sure that wasnt how it was supposed to feel. The thought of those words leaving her lips kept replaying in my mind with the excitement that laced her aura, increasing in that single breath, as if shed accomplished a huge achievement. I knew I couldnt kill the moment, not there in practice at least.

I had a girlfriend, a real-life girlfriend. It seemed so surreal that officially reaching the one-month mark was nearly unimaginable. I wasnt even dating guys. The thought of having a boyfriend, well, it didnt cross my mind either. Tim, on the other hand, was like an innocent puppy love crush that followed me all through high school, though that was as far as that had made it. Now Id taken to a whole other girl, yet I was still undesirably bound to the first.

What was I going to do? I knew I had to come up with a way to end this relationship, but I was certain itd be the hardest thing Ive ever done in my life. Heartbreak wasnt exactly something Id ever dealt with, and before going into this, it really hadnt crossed my mind—ever.

We finally pulled into the parking lot in front of the auditorium and walked inside. The lights were already off by the time we made it up to the double doors to cash in our tickets. I peeked in. I couldnt see anything through the darkness, aside from the girl standing under the spotlight on stage. Her dress glowed under the intense beams as she stood frozen in place, with a cold stare plastered across her face. The poor girl looked completely out of her element, scared in the eyes of what sounded like a pretty large crowd by the scattered whispers fuming the air. She mustve been a freshman. Anyways, I could hardly think that the shrill pitchy sounds coming from her were helping her cause.

After the typical Somewhere Over the Rainbow rendition ended, the lights stayed dim, and only faint claps from the audience emerged. In the back of my mind, I consciously waited for the outburst of obnoxiously loud cheering to stand out over all of the noise in the room and somewhat on cue. It was usually what led us to the right section everywhere else weve gone, which finally came just seconds short of my prediction. Tori nudged my arm from her place in front of me and we followed the noise all the way to the far end of the room.