Chapter 12

The next evening, I found myself cornered in the warm realm of Karas apartment, stuck in the kitchen between the cold, wide stretched countertop and stove. I stood there stiffly, shying away from Kara as she stood on my heels. I couldnt remember the last time Id been so tense in any situation, this time with only a half retrieving arm clenching a metal spatula for separation. I was nervous under the pressure of her observations, but I had to keep it together. Since I had not been in any relationships in the past, I found myself in new territory that I wasnt comfortable with. It was tough as my nerves set in. I only hoped it wasnt all over my face.

There was an array of electrifying crackles and pops in the air as I cooked hamburgers. Kara leaned against my back to closely observe the grease in the frying pan sizzling around the beef patties, without the slightest concern of protection for my delicate caramel complexion against the grease popping.

Somehow the heavy grumble in my famished stomach cut through the sloshing of the burning oil, giving away my deprived grief. I was pretty positive that was why Kara detached from my back. Well, that and the fact that the meat was about finished.

Hey, where'd the plate with the napkins go? I asked, spotting it where Id just remembered setting the supplies for the cooked patties.

I turned toward Kara. She was slumped over the back of the couch. She moved right away, twisting toward the table with that squinted smirk across her face, revealing tightly closed lips and an amused glow. She was quiet all the way over to the table.

Right here, she whispered, holding the ceramic glass draped in printed napkins. I didn't want you to knock it over or anything when the grease was popping all over the place. She spoke with such a facetious tone I could hardly ignore it.

Oh, my bad, I didn't think to protect the paper and glass while I was playing dodge the grease, I snarled back and flipped the medium-cooked patties onto the plate as she laid out two sets of buns. The room was finally at peace from the sizzling pan. After I topped my sandwich with ketchup and mustard, we hurried to her room.

I stepped into the dimly lit domain behind Kara with closed lips and a full mouth when it hit me. I was in her dorm in her room, and Id even managed to cook for her. I never imagined us this far ahead.

The room was quiet. I plopped down at the end of Karas perfectly set sheets and took another bite. Then, the TV flickered on. I looked up and there was Kara, wafting at her face in front of the mirror. I couldnt see what she was doing; all I could make out was one of her eyes shielded by one arm and the other half-open. I tossed the last bite of burger into my mouth, shot the napkin at the little purple trash can by the door, then turned toward the TV.

Well, Im still alive, so I guess youre not trying to get rid of me yet, Kara said, breaking the silence. She came walking toward the bed, chewing the last piece of her sandwich.

Well, what kind of friend would I be if I did such a thing? I grimaced. Besides, Im sure all signs would definitely point to me if you turned up missing. I mean, everyone knows you cant get enough of me, so it would only be natural to assume I was the last person you were with, especially since we allegedly have something going on. I emphasized the allegedly with a smile. I couldnt hold it back.

I could tell she was amused. Oh, is that what I have everyone thinking? she asked with a mocking expression, while falling down beside me onto the bed.

Well, it must be true. I mean, it is school gossip you know, I joked.

Well, I hate to break the trending buzz—and your heart, Kara replied, cutting her eyes at me, but dont flatter yourself, nobodys worried about you, she said. And, friend her voice trailed off in a meaningful snicker as she turned toward the TV, thats cute.