Chapter 6

The ride back to school was a stretch from the usual trips. We stormed the dank, narrow bus. I scavenged through the seats, passing books, jackets, and other foreign objects before I came to the empty seat that appeared to hold my mark, in front of a brown, wilted half-eaten apple in the seat behind. I hadnt noticed the seats around me fill up so quickly. I spread my things out beside me before realizing that Kara was sitting two seats ahead, on the opposite side of the bus.

Kendall was laid out on her bag with earbuds on in the seat in front of me. Shed seemed loopy, nauseated ever since the relay and hadnt spoken much. Sage, on the contrary, was across the aisle from me, laughing with some of the other girls. I hadnt paid much attention to their conversation, until I caught a piece of the next words that were spoken, And my sisters girlfriend is so cute, her voice rattled.

I looked up to find one of the freshmen talking to the girls around her and noticed Sage listening in. I turned back to Kara, who was also listening in on the conversation. Then, the engine finally revved up.

What are their behinds talking about now? I asked curiously, looking over to Sage, since I was sure she had a pretty clear idea of the conversation.

A glossy smile cased her face as she turned toward me.

She said her sister was telling her about some night she and her girlfriend were in bed getting it in. Then, the girl out of nowhere broke out in a rant about how shes all in love with her. Say her sister stopped everything and laid down to go to sleep, but the girlfriend wasnt having that and tried to make her say it back. Long story short, her sister and the girl ended up breaking up over it. I guess the girl didnt feel like her sister cared, she finished.

Are you serious? I asked, still trying to digest the fact that this story was even going around the bus in the first place. I didnt understand why the girl would actually break up over something so little either. Her sister has a girlfriend? I accidentally muttered, meaning to keep it to myself.

Yeah, I guess she does, why? Sage asked abruptly. But, thats what Im saying, she came again, misinterpreting my take on the matter. She was just playing with the girls feelings anyway. I wouldve broken up with her too.

Really? I snapped, with an argumentative tinge overtaking my tone. I was taken aback by our opposed positions. You really think telling the girl she was in love was necessary? I gawked. So, what if she really wasnt?

I could tell by the puzzled expression that Sage was thinking about what Id said; she spoke again, and her eyes grew another half-size. Well, being that theyd been together for seven months going on eight, umm yeah, if she still couldnt say it by now, then theres something up. Her voice nearly cracked at the end of her statement. And that window was just about winding down, dont you think? She dropped her head down at me and cocked her brows.

I still didnt see the big deal, but before I could get another word out, Kara came crawling toward us. She slid over the only seat separating the two rows. She mustve been listening to our argument, because she didnt waste any time jumping in.

So, youre saying that if you were in love with someone and yall have been dating for over half a year, you wouldnt feel some type of way about him or her not saying it back?

She looked at me with menacing eyes. I could tell she was ready to counter any opposition I came back with, but I took it as a challenge and my words poured out.

I dont see why it would be a reason to break up. I mean, its still kind of early, even though it was starting to get a little late, I confessed.

I watched her as she listened with steady eyes. Then, I looked away. But, you can never be too sure when it comes to love. All Im saying is I wouldnt be surprised if I weren't so quick to say it back, I smirked, looking back at her and then to Sage.