20

Veronica sat with Scott on the foot of his bed, staring down at the duffel bag filled with cash Scott had found in Garrett's locker. They stayed silent as they listened in on Melissa's phone call downstairs, "I know that I'm a month late," She told the person on the other end of the phone as she looked through the fridge, "Three months? Oh." She closed the fridge before walking into the dining room, "Are you sure it's three months? Okay, I understand. Um, but if you could just turn the power back on even for a few hours, that would be really great. I have a refrigerator full of food that's going to go bad. And, obviously, I don't have the money to run out and replace three hundred dollars worth of groceries. So...I am more than happy to beg."  

 Veronica sighed, turning to face Scott as she got up from her seat beside him on the bed, "Just use it, Scott," She spoke up in a sincere tone, placing a hand on his shoulder, "Nothing's stopping you from doing it."

"But I feel guilty if I were to use it," Scott replied, "It's not even mine, it's the Hale's."

"Look," Veronica sighed once more, "I'm pretty sure if Derek knew your situation, he would be more than willing to let you keep the money."

"It's like my mom would accept the money anyway," he argued with her comment, "Remember when you offered to pay off everything with your money? She told you she would never take your money, that you're a guest here."

 Veronica nodded her head, understanding where the male Alpha was coming from, "Look, we better get to school." She told him and Scott shook his head, "Scott, I get you're trying to figure this whole Deadpool thing out, but we're still in High School. If we want to graduate, you can't go skipping every class. There's always after school and even free periods."

 Scott looked up at her and sighed as he stood up from the bed, grabbing his backpack, "Fine, let's go." He decided hesitantly.

 Veronica smiled and pat Scott on the back as they both headed out the door.

__________

Veronica and Malia sat across from each other in Math class, seeing as Kira, Stiles, and Lydia didn't show up to school.  Miss Flemming stood at the front of the room, looking down at her attendance sheet, "Has anyone seen Stiles, Lydia, or Kira today?" Miss Flemming spoke up to the whole class and no one seemed to answer, "Veronica?"

Veronica immediately looked up and shook her head, "Sorry, no clue." She replied as Miss Flemming turned to Malia.

"Malia." She called out and Malia immediately looked up, "Any idea where your friends are?"

 Malia shrugged, "I can try catching their scent." She replied without a care in the world.

Veronica groaned, hitting her head against the desk at Malia's response. She lifted her head back up to see the teacher had no clue what she meant, thankfully, "Right," Miss Flemming nodded, even though she was utterly confused, "How about I just mark them down as absent."

 As the teacher began to mark the three teenagers down as absent, Veronica began to hear Malia and her own name being called several times from a distance by a familar voice. Derek's, "Malia." He whispered, knowing the two supernatural females could hear, "Veronica."

 Unlike Veronica, Malia had no clue where the voice was coming from. She began to glance around the room, only to find nothing, "Okay, everyone, let's begin with last night's homework." The teacher announced to the class.

 Veronica leaned forward in her seat, beginning to whisper into Malia's ear, "You hear it, too?" She asked and Malia nodded, "I'm going to go check it out. You coming?"

"I hate math," Malia replied, which meant the answer was yes.

"Don't we all," Veronica smiled as got up from her seat. She placed her materials for math class in her book back before turning to look at Malia, "Let's go," She told her with a smile. 

Malia immediately obeyed her order and quickly packed up her things before she followed Veronica on her way to the classroom door. As the two females did so, Miss Flemming looked at them, puzzled, "Veronica. Malia." She spoke up, causing both females to turn to look at her, "Do the two of you need to be excused from class?" She questioned curiously.

"Yeah," Malia answered the obvious, causing Veronica to sigh as she grabbed Malia's hand and led her out the classroom.

 Malia and Veronica walked through the hallway, searching for Derek. As they turned a corner, Veronica sensed a presence behind them and instantly turned around to see Derek standing at the top of the small set up steps,  "What are you doing here, Derek?" Veronica asked concerned, "Aren't you a little too old to be attending high school?"

 Derek rolled her eyes at the girl's comment before lifting up the green jersey he had in his hand, which Veronica recognized to Brett's, "Since you ended up having to take Brett back to the Animal Clinic not even five minutes after getting him out because he was still too weak, there's no one to warn his pack about the Deadpool," Derek explained to them two females.

"So what do you need us for?" Malia questioned confused.

"I know a little something about this pack," Derek replied as he walked down the stairs and closer to Malia and Veronica, "They have a kind of secret meeting place in the woods. No one's spent more time in the woods of Beacon Hills than you, Malia."

"What about me? Why am I here?" Veronica asked, confused about why she was there.

 Derek turned to her, "You have the best tracking skills I've ever seen on someone. You can sniff someone out from a mile away. I need you to help find this pack," He informed the female Alpha as he tossed Brett's jersey to Veronica.

  Veronica lifted up the green article of clothing before taking a giant inhale of the scent before she tossed it over to Malia.

Malia caught the jersey with one hand before frowning at both Veronica and Derek, "I'm not good at that yet." She told them, shaking her head.

"Try it," Derek encouraged her, "Veronica and I will teach you."

Malia listened, moving Brett's jersey closer to her nose as she tried to catch a scent, "Focus on the different scents, Malia. Some are tied to identity while others give off emotions like fear, anxiety, arousal." Veronica explained to the werecoyote.

 Malia closed her eyes as she breathed in the different scents. Once catching a scent, she opened her eyes and looked up at Derek and Veronica, "I got it." She spoke up.