Chapter 1: How to Start a Dragon Academy (Reign)

This is Berk. For generations, it was dragon against Viking. The battles were ferocious. Then one day, everything changed. I met Hiccup and Toothless. And together we've shown people here that instead of fighting dragons, we can ride them, live with them, even train them

The wind tossed my long hair about as I clung tightly to the person in front of me. He shifted his peg-leg back and the artificial wing of the dragon we were on sprung out, allowing us to fly just a bit higher before we landed back on the ledge where five other dragon riders were waiting expectantly for us.

"Okay, guys. Best trick competition," Hiccup announced. Out of fear, I immediately flung myself from Toothless and onto the ground. "Reign, what are you-"

"The last time you did this, I started plummeting towards the ocean. Pardon me if I have a concept of self-preservation," I stated plainly, setting my hands on my hips.

Hiccup shook his head and turned back to the group.

"Who's up first?" he asked, scanning his eyes across those who had dragons.

"Uh-" Fishlegs wouldn't get to finish.

"Me!" The ever-cocky Snotlout announced.

"Actually, I think it's-"

"Me!" Snotlout once again interrupted Fishlegs.

"Sweet baby Thor in a thunderstorm!" Astrid cried in frustration. "Go!"

"Oh don't worry, we'll go. And when we go, Hookfang and I are gonna light the sky on fire!"

Before Snotlout could finish, his Monstrous Nightmare had dived off the cliff and towards the water, before maneuvering through some tight impasses and looping into the sky, diving once into the water, and landing back onto the overlook.

"I'm alive? I'm alive!" He turned back to face the rest of us, who all had unamused looks on our faces, and his elated expression dropped. "I mean, of course I am."

"Ooh, it's my turn," Fishlegs cried happily, making me smile. "Ready, Meatlug?" He asked his sweet little Gronkle. "Here we go!" She gently lifted off the ground and circled once, then landed on the overlook. "Yes! New personal best."

I shot Fishlegs a thumbs-up, giving him some encouragement. For him, that was a step up. The week before, he could barely get Meatlug off the ground before he started screaming. After he had charged so willingly into battle on that dragon last year, I thought he'd maybe gained a sense of confidence, but looking at it now, that bravery seemed to just be a circumstantial spur of the moment. Regardless, he'd learn to be less afraid of getting into the air.

"My turn!" Ruffnut announced.

"No, my turn!" Her twin, Tuffnut, shot back.

"Guys?" I sighed. "Same dragon."

"Oh, right." Leave it to the twins to forget the thing right in front of their faces.

Their Hideous Zippleback began to fly, but Ruff and Tuff were clearly giving contradictory orders, because the dragon's heads began moving in opposite directions and tangling up before slamming against a rock spire. Ruff and Tuff were tossed in the air and Barf and Belch caught them, then brought them back to the overlook.

"We almost died," Ruff panted.

"I know... Go again?"

"Hey, it's my turn," Astrid announced, clearly done with everyone's antics. She turned to Hiccup and smirked. "You might want to take notes. Let's go." She and her Deadly Nadder, Stormfly, launched into the air and dragged her tail through the water, did a few twirls in the air, shot up in a spiral, and landed back with the rest of us. Everyone exclaimed in awe, except Snotlout.