Chapter 40: Cast Out, Pt. 2 (Hiccup)

The gate slammed shut in front of the dragons, allowing Fishlegs and Meatlug to escape with the Dragon Root. The Vikings had dealt with Dagur's men, and it looked like things were finally wrapping up around here. This wouldn't be the final battle with Dagur, for sure, but it was a step in the right direction.

"Hiccup!" Gobber called down. Toothless flew up to the platform where he was standing, and when I followed his gaze, I gasped. Dagur and Savage stood above us, swords drawn and held in front of my father. Reign's unconscious figure laid limp, slung over Dagur's shoulder as though she weighed nothing.

"Dad! Reign!" I cried, as though I could somehow wake her up and make her fight back.

"Nobody make a move," he warned.

"Dagur..." Alvin growled.

"We'll be leaving now, and if I see one dragon following us, rider or not, you're going to be looking for a new chief, and I'll be keeping my sister." My hands tightened into fists on Toothless' back. "We'll be in touch!" Dagur called as he brought his two hostages to his ship.

Watching them taken away like that made me completely disregard Dagur's warning. If he couldn't see us coming, he wouldn't be able to fight back before I rescued my dad and Reign and came back to Berk.

"Okay, we take the south pass, cut them off at the beach, and smash their boats before they even— "

"Don't do it, boy," Alvin cautioned. "You back a man like that into a corner, and you may not like the outcome."

"Especially when that man travels with a hundred ship armada," Gobber added.

"But, I have to save my father, and my girlfriend!"

"Dagur is not gonna hurt either of 'em... yet. They're not what he wants."

"He's right."

"You want me to trust him?" I gestured my arm out to Alvin, trying to bring Gobber to his senses.

"If there's one thing Alvin knows, Hiccup, it's treachery."

My eyes darted to the ground, realizing he had a good point. But I needed a way to bring them back to Berk without giving up Toothless. No way would I ever do that. The other riders locked up Alvin for good measure, and I got ready to formulate a plan. As I did, I watched the armada leave Berk's shore.

"Don't worry Dad, Reign. We're gonna get you back... no matter what it takes."

Astrid led me to the Great Hall, having been summoned by Gobber. The moment she opened the door, loud shouts and jeers flooded out, indistinguishable from each other. I rolled my eyes and spotted the twins in the crowd, making my way over to them.

"What is going on?" I demanded.

"No idea. But everyone's shouting, and I'm totally into that!" Ruff cackled, and the two of them fed back into the group.

"We're so angry!" she screamed.

"Everybody shake your fists, and look to the sky!" Weirdly enough, the crowd followed Tuff's instructions, throwing their fists into the air.

"Really not helping, Tuff."

Gobber managed to push his way through and approached Astrid and I, placing a hand on my shoulder.