Chapter 12: Thawfest (Hiccup)

Every year on Berk, we come together to test our strength, endurance, and courage in the annual Thawfest Games. For some of us, it's... not such a great time of year. In fact, I've lost every single time to Snotlout. But this year, all that could change. This year, I could finally have a chance to win, because, for the first time ever, this year will include...

"...dragons! They are now officially a part of Thawfest," Gobber announced. "There will be three additional events: The Fly and Shoot- which will require you to fly straight and shoot straighter- "A blast of fire from Barf and Belch suddenly shot past Gobber's head. "Hey!"

"Sorry, we were on the wrong head," Tuffnut apologized.

"I knew something felt weird." They fired another shot.

"Ah, much better."

" The next event will be the Freestyle, where it's up to you to impress the judges with a trick of your choice." All of us watched as Astrid perfectly balanced on Stormfly while in midair.

"Ah! The Nadder Wing Walk. Impressive, Astrid."

"Um, excuse me?" Fishlegs called attention to himself. "Meatlug and I were wondering if there were going to be any intellectual events. A puzzle perhaps?"

"I'll... take that under advisement, Fishlegs." Gobber turned his attention back to listing the events. "And let's not forget the hurdles, where you will be asked to-"

"Woo-hoo!" We all looked up as Snotlout and Hookfang zoomed in before landing and kicking some dust in my face. I coughed as I breathed it in.

"You know what I love about the Thawfestival Games?" Snotlout hopped off his dragon, all the medals he had won gleaming around his neck. "Winning. You wanna touch one of my medals, just to see how it feels to be a winner?"

"I-I think I'll pass," I stuttered.

"My family has never lost a Thawfest Games, ever."

"Here we go," Reign sighed. Despite never participating herself, she had been there to witness every time Snotlout had won.

"Dragons or no dragons, I'll do what I do every year: bring glory to the Jorgenson clan. And you'll do what you do: embarrass yours." Snotlout laughed at me as he climbed up onto Hookfang. "Let's go, Hookfang." As the Monstrous Nightmare took off, Snotlout's foot got caught on Hookfang's saddle, and he ended up dangling from his neck as they headed back to train more.

"I will crush you all!" Reign shook her head and leaned against the other side of Toothless.

"You're really not participating again?"

"Of course not. I have no one to compete for. There's no point." She smiled. "Besides, I like being here to cheer you on."

"Well, I'm glad there's at least one of you."

"Oh, come on," Reign scoffed, shoving my shoulder. "Everyone else is here to cheer you on, too."

"They're just too busy cheering for Snotlout." She lowered her eyelids at me and rested her hands on her hips.

"You're not changing my mind about any of this. I like it when it's just friendly 'competition' between just you and I, and I want to cheer you on." For a split second, she delicately rested her fingers on mine. "Don't push yourself too hard."

I finished shading the final piece of my design before grabbing my measuring tape and approaching Toothless.

"Oh... kay." I began measuring his wingspan, when my father came into my room.