Chapter 31: A View to a Skrill, Pt. 2 (Reign)

A crescendo of thunder caused my eyes to fly open, right as it peaked. My heart pounded quickly as I attempted to figure out what was going on, or where I was. The barren wasteland around me tipped me off that I, unfortunately, hadn't landed on Berk. My eyes attempted to adjust in the darkness, but it wasn't until an intense flash of lightning that I figured it out. The decaying, leafless trees, the faint lights and battle cry-esque yelling from the form of an arena not too far off into the distance.

Of course, of all the places in the archipelago, I had to land on Outcast Island.

Based on the intense storm right above us, I assumed they'd taken the Skrill from us and had it down in that stupid dragon fighting arena. Ignoring the soreness that overtook me, I managed to sit up and reach out for my sword. My legs wobbled a bit as I stood, and once I was steady, I snuck closer to the arena, trying to get a better look. If Alvin were going to keep the Skrill anywhere, it would be down there. I tried my best to keep myself hidden-- a feat all of its own when you have bright red hair-- as I peered over the rocks right above the arena. A group of Outcasts were gathering around closer to the center, and I could hear the roars and thrashing against chains from the Skrill.

"That's a lot of Outcasts."

I jumped and immediately pulled the shield from my back, swinging my arm out to hit whoever had said that. I felt the strong wood strike something, and a familiar voice cried out in pain. Slowly, I lowered the piece of protection and stared at the figure of Hiccup, holding the side of his head in pain. Toothless sniffed his rider before looking at me with wide eyes, asking why I would hit Hiccup.

"Oh, my gods. Hiccup, I'm so sorry," I whispered as I crawled forward and helped him back up. "Are you okay?"

"I'll be fine. I forgot you pack quite the punch." I chuckled before peering back down toward the arena.

"What are you planning, Alvin?"

"All I know is he's been planning something big with that Skrill." Hiccup casually glanced back at Ruffnut, who had popped up from behind another rock. I stared her down, shocked. Did everyone just end up here somehow?

"Alvin has the Skrill-- wait! Ruff?" A smile formed on Hiccup's face, indicating to me he'd been out looking for us. "You're-you're alive! I-I-I don't believe it! Where's Tuff?" I slightly whipped my head around to look at Hiccup, who seemed to be a lot more excited to see Ruffnut than me. I mean, I get he probably didn't expect to find both of us in the same place, and I'd hit him in the head with a shield, but still.

Ruffnut's expression dropped as she looked at us. "He didn't make it, Hiccup."

"What?" She paused for a moment, continuing to look at the rock below her, before it quickly snapped into a mischievous smirk.

"Kidding! He's right behind you." The two of us turned around and squinted at a tree in front of us, trying to figure out where he was.

"What's up, Hiccup?" Tuff's muffled voice asked from right in front of us. Was he... inside the tree? "Cool disguise, huh? It's kinda itchy."

"Uh... yeah. Not bad." The two of us glanced at each other and shrugged, not really sure what to make of the situation. I wasn't really sure how he'd get out of there, but if he got in, I suppose it couldn't be that hard.

"Yeah. Tuff hollowed out that tree so he couldn't be seen," Ruff told us, smirking as she stood uncomfortably close to my ear. "Problem is, he can't move."

"And I have Bark Beetles in my pants." Toothless approached the tree and curiously sniffed it, looking confused as to why Tuffnut's voice was coming out of something he'd previously established in his mind to be inanimate. "I'm starting to like them..." I crinkled my nose in disgust. "Hey, fellas, a little to the left. Really scratch around down there. See what you can find."