Chapter 15: Twinsanity (Reign)

Ever since I arrived on Berk, I've been trying to remember where I came from. But I never expected the answers would come to me on a day I wasn't supposed to be on Berk at all.

"How are we supposed to see up here?" Ruffnut whined.

"You're not. That's the whole point."

Today's training was all about trust between dragon and rider, but as usual, Ruff and Tuff weren't exactly getting that. We had taken them above the dense cloud cover that had settled over Berk in hopes that maybe Barf and Belch would be able to help guide the twins to where we had designated them to go.

"Oh. No, I still don't get it." Hiccup and I exchanged a glance.

"When you two can't see, you have to trust Barf and Belch to see for you. Like this." Hiccup patted Toothless on the head, and the two of them disappeared into the fog.

"Why does he always have to speak in riddles?"

"I say we trust us." I used Shriek to rest my elbows on as I buried my head in my hands.

"Yeah, I'm with you, sister."

"Barf, up!"

"Belch, down!" I looked up to see the twins and their Zippleback spiraled through the air, each head facing a different direction. They barreled through the sky, knocking into an unsuspecting Fishlegs and Meatlug and sending them all tumbling to the ground.

"Oh, you've got to be kidding me." Shriek and I dove down to where the three had fallen, finding them suspended by tree branches.

"Belch, get me down!"

"Barf, go for help!" I looked up to the sky to see their Zippleback still fighting to pick a direction to fly in.

Taking the opportunity, Fishlegs whistled toward his dragon. Meatlug looked down at where the noise had come from, then dove toward her rider to help him the twins up off the branch.

"It worked! I can't believe it actually worked!" He could only celebrate for a second, however. The branch below Fishlegs suddenly snapped, and thinking fast, I jumped onto Shriek and dove beneath him to catch Fishlegs. We reunited with Hiccup as we got back above the cloud cover.

"What was that hand thing you were doing?" I asked.

"If you must know, I have been crafting some rudimentary hand signals for Meatlug just in case we get separated, and they seem to have been well-received."

"Hmm... Hand signals. That's incredible, Fishlegs!"

"Yeah, I know!" I turned to Hiccup.

"We need to start working on those right away." A look crossed Hiccup's face, one that I couldn't quite understand, before nodding and leading everyone back to the academy for training.

"Shriek, knockout boom!" I stepped out of the way and flicked my arm down for her to fire out a tiny sonic boom. "Up!" I pointed my index finger up and she took off just above my head. "Higher!" She went up to the ceiling of the academy, and I was satisfied. "Okay, come down, girl."

Having finished with our part of training for the day, I made my way over to Hiccup and Toothless, who were finishing up their hand signals.

"Toothless, plasma blast!" Hiccup tossed a shield into the air, and Toothless obliterated it with a blast. "Good job, bud. Smile." I giggled as Toothless pulled back the corners of his lips, trying his best to smile.