Chapter 24: Tunnel Vision (Hiccup)

"Cut him off!" my dad ordered. "Make sure he doesn't escape."

I landed Toothless on one side of my dad, Reign on the other, and the two of us glanced at each other before getting ready to take off again.

"I didn't think he could move that fast," I sighed, looking at her. The corners of her eyes crinkled as she laughed at my joke, then Toothless and Shriek shot up, and we resumed following the path of falling objects. While she remained in the air, I landed on the ground and attempted to cut off our subject. He turned as soon as he saw me and started to run in the other direction. "Reign, he's heading in your direction!"

"Got it!" She watched the way they ran, then executed a plan. "Shriek, sonic boom."

I covered my ears as Shriek screamed, and large waves of sound visibly traveled down in front of our runner, and broke a few crates to send splinters flying and barrels tumbling that blocked his way.

"I won't do it, Stoick," Gobber protested. "And you can't make me!" Reign and I each landed on one side of my dad. "None of you can make me!"

"Keep him surrounded!" my dad shouted.

"A Viking is supposed to smell this way. It's a badge of honor!"

A Terrible Terror climbed around to rest on Gobber's shoulder, but upon taking one whiff, he stuck his tongue out and flew off in a daze, before striking a pole and collapsing onto the dirt.

"Hurry. We've gotta get that tub filled to give Gobber his bath," Fishlegs urged as Meatlug landed in front of him.

"It's for your own good, Gobber."

"Actually, it's for the good of the town," I clarified.

"Get in the tub."

Snotlout and Hookfang landed behind him to trap him.

"Hookfang, toss him in the tub!" Rather than doing what he was told, Hookfang jerked his head to launch Snotlout in the air and fire him straight into the empty basin meant to serve as Gobber's tub. "Every... single... time! Doesn't this get old for you?" Hookfang just rolled his eyes.

I pointed Toothless in Gobber's direction, and he began to circle him. I glanced at Reign, and the two of us winked at each other to indicate the two of us were ready.

"Now Reign!"

Shriek and Reign flew into the air to distract Gobber, and once he was looking at them, Toothless came up from underneath him and shot him straight into the basin.

"Fishlegs, soap and water!" My dad went over and held Gobber down by his face as Fishlegs and Meatlug rounded the corner with a bucket in hands. The two of them hovered just above his head, then Fishlegs tipped the bucked down. Curiously enough, only a few drops slid down onto the top of the Viking's head. Reign landed, and the two of us cast curious glances in each other's direction. "You're gonna have to do better than that, son."

"I can't, sir. The well... it's run dry."

All of us looked up at Fishlegs in shock for a moment, then all rushed over to the well to check things out. My father dropped the bucket down as far as it could go, then after waiting a few seconds, brought it back up to find the inside completely dry.

"We just dug that well two summers ago."

"Water doesn't just disappear," I muttered, staring down the dark pit. "There has to be a reason." My father sighed and threw the bucket down.