An Unexpected Reunion

Harry walked up the gravel path towards The Mill, checking and re-checking his clothes. This was the first time he'd be going to see Andromeda since Tonks and Remus' funeral and was surprised at how apprehensive he felt about it. He had promised Remus' spirit that night in the Forbidden Forest that he would take care of Teddy for him and Tonks, and Harry had every intention of doing so. He knew all too well what it was like being an orphan, and although he knew he would never replace his parents, he wanted Teddy to know that he was loved and wanted— far more than he ever was growing up.

He knocked on the blue eggshell door and waited, brushing his hands down his faded jeans and too-large shirt, trying and failing to look any more presentable. A moment passed and the door creaked open.

"Harry!" cried Andromeda warmly pulling him into a tight hug which he gladly returned. "It's so good to see you. Teddy's just in the garden. Come in, come in."

"How are you holding up, Andy?" he asked, following her through the cosy cottage. He smiled sadly at the many pictures of Tonks beaming and waving back at him.

"Better," she sighed. "I take each day as it comes. And you? How have you been coping?"

"Same," said Harry. "Sorry I haven't been to see you sooner. I've spent most of my time between providing testimony at the Ministry and attending funerals."

"No need to apologise," she said lightly, marching out of the dim kitchen and back into the blazing sunlight. "I've been getting a little extra help around the house. You know my nephew Draco, of course."

Harry stopped dead at the most bizarre sight he'd ever seen, and that was really saying something. There was Draco Malfoy in Andromeda's garden, wearing Muggle clothes, lying on his back holding a baby above him, smiling broadly. All Harry's brain could muster in response to this remarkable sight was, what the fuck is he doing here?

"Draco, Harry's here to visit Teddy," called Andromeda, walking down the garden path. Draco's smile fell and he sat bolt upright, looking sheepish under Harry's incredulous gaze.

"You didn't say we'd have visitors," he said quietly, cradling Teddy in the crook of his neck.

Harry had gathered his senses enough to retort back, "What, am I supposed to arrange by appointment to see my own godson, Malfoy?"

"Of course not," said Andromeda, carefully taking Teddy out of Draco's hands. "You know you're welcome here any time. Tea?"

"No thanks," declined Draco quickly, jumping to his feet. "I uh, need to go to the shop."

"I went this morning Draco, what are you needing?" asked Andromeda lightly.

Draco frowned and said forcefully, "Biscuits."

"Harry's brought some, haven't you dear?" she asked. Harry pulled a box of bourbons from his back pocket.

"I'm not hungry," said Draco.

"Then you can just have a drink with us," Andromeda retorted, already making her way back up the garden path.

Draco whispered fiercely, "I'm not thirsty, either."

"You can make the tea for us then, thank you," Andromeda persisted with a slight edge to her voice.

Draco's shoulders sagged. Out of excuses to avoid this uncomfortable confrontation, he busied himself making fresh tea for everyone while Andromeda went upstairs to the nursery to get Teddy settled for his afternoon nap. Draco tried to ignore Harry, but he still managed to pour boiling water over the counter and knock a teaspoon full of sugar onto the floor. He felt the back of his neck prickle with heat; a combination of embarrassment and the feeling of Harry's eyes boring into his back. Draco sat Harry's tea in front of him, avoiding his gaze. Harry didn't say thank you, he didn't even touch his cup. They sat across from each other at the kitchen table with arms crossed, sizing each other up.