We Open at the Close

WINTER SOLSTICE, 1998

Snow was falling. Intricate patterns of ice floated weightlessly down from the bright white sky, blanketing the hills and fields surrounding The Burrow in a thick coat like pure white icing sugar. In the large garden of the Burrow a large gazebo had been erected, where Draco and Harry sat waiting patiently with other guests and family members for the ceremony to begin.

"She's late," Draco muttered to Harry. "You don't think she's done a runner?"

"No," said Harry admonishingly, then added, "But if she has I don't think they can return the cake."

"You two behave," Andromeda hissed. She sat behind them cradling Teddy in her arms.

"We're only kidding," smiled Harry.

They all stood and turned with everyone else as the music began to play. Ginny came into sight and everyone gasped. Harry's heart swelled— she really was beautiful in her long white gown with ivy intricately weaved through her long red hair. She walked slowly up the aisle holding tightly onto Mr Weasley's arm, her head bowed in a shy smile. Harry's eyes followed her as she approached the altar where Neville stood waiting for her, his chest puffed up proudly as his bride-to-be made her way towards him. Luna, acting as Ginny's Maid of Honour, stood to one side of the altar in a long white gown and no shoes, even in this weather, which made Harry chuckle. George, acting as best man, patted Neville reassuringly on the shoulder, smiling broadly.

Mrs Weasley sat at the front, dabbing tears from her eyes, whereas Neville's grandmother wept inconsolable tears of joy. The only person who was crying harder than Mrs Longbottom was Hagrid. He stood at the back of the room, blowing his nose into a table-cloth sized handkerchief so loudly that a few sniggers rippled throughout the expectant crowd. Harry smiled broadly as they reached the altar, Mr Weasley kissed Ginny's cheek and placed her hand into Neville's before taking his seat next to Mrs Weasley. Neville and Ginny turned to each other, both excited and nervous as the Minister began the ceremony.

"I must admit, she really looks resplendent," said Draco, watching the ceremony with a small smile. "Though I think I'd suit the floral gown better."

Harry snorted and Andromeda slapped them both on the backs of their heads. "Cut it out you two!"

"Sorry," whispered Draco apologetically.

He turned back to Harry with a smirk and mouthed "You know I'm right" and winked. It really was a beautiful ceremony, and when the Minister announced that Neville could kiss his wife, he gave her a chaste kiss on the lips before Ginny wrapped her arms around him and pulled him close for a deeper kiss, to which everyone whistled and applauded loudly. As they followed the guests out of the gazebo towards the large tent to watch the first dance, Ron came running up between Harry and Draco and slapped them both on the shoulders.

"So...Ginny's got hitched, Hermione and I are engaged. When are you two going to take the plunge?"

"Why? I hope you're not expecting an invitation?" drawled Draco, raising an eyebrow.

Ron looked aghast. "I'm expecting to be Best Man! Don't kid me mate, I better be invited. I did save your life, after all."

"As you kindly remind me every time we meet," huffed Draco.

Ron smirked. "You poisoned me—"

"By accident," Draco corrected him stiffly.

"Still, you poisoned me," he shrugged. "Then you got poisoned and I saved you. So, you owe me a life debt. And that's how I'd like to be repaid— Best Man at my best mate's wedding. Otherwise you must forfeit your life!"