Awakenings

"I'm not leaving," Harry insisted.

"There's nothing more you that can do for now," said Andromeda.

"I said I'm not leaving."

"Harry, you don't even have any shoes on," Hermione pointed out.

Harry looked down at himself and noticed for the first time that he was still only dressed in his pyjama bottoms. He'd been in too much of a hurry to get Draco to the hospital to worry about something as meaningless as his clothes.

"Come on, Harry," coerced Andromeda gently. "Go home, have a shower, get dressed. I'll still be here when you get back."

Hours had passed and still they'd heard nothing. Ron and Hermione had left and returned already to inform their families what was happening, but Harry hadn't moved from his spot in the family room.

"I'd rather stay here, thanks," Harry declined simply.

Andromeda pursed her lips, but simply nodded, accepting that there was no changing his mind. She let out a shaky breath, "Who would do such a thing?"

"I can think of a few people," said Harry bitterly.

Harry's mind was mulling over possible suspects, causing surges of hot anger to rise up inside of him, but his anger was immediately tempered by a wave of sickening guilt that Draco was the one now fighting for his life in Harry's stead. He felt frozen in place, afraid to leave in case something happened to Draco and he wasn't there to...do what, exactly? Sitting in this room and driving himself to distraction with dark thoughts, imagining all the ways he would hurt the phantom suspect or suspects responsible for this was no good to anyone, least of all Draco. He sighed and clenched his fists tight in his lap, at a loss as to what he should do.

Harry and Andromeda's heads snapped towards the door as they heard a commotion out in the corridor. Someone's voice was increasing in volume as they approached the family room. Harry distinctly heard the click of high heels and for the first time in hours felt his fear spike. Andromeda jumped to her feet and stuck her head out into the corridor to identify the source of the noise.

"Cissy!" she shouted, stepping out of the room.

Harry followed Andromeda out into the corridor and came face to face with Draco's mother. Her hair was loose, flying wildly around her face. She had lost the cold mask of composure she normally wore so eloquently, now looking utterly distraught.

"Where is my son?" she was shouting, marching towards Andromeda. "I demand to see him immediately."

"He's been attended to," said Andromeda. "There's nothing more we can do for the moment. Come sit down, we'll explain everything."

Narcissa's eyes fell on Harry, and she stilled.

Harry blinked and raised a hand apologetically towards her. "I'm—"

SLAP .

Narcissa's hand struck Harry's face with such force he staggered backwards. People in the corridor gasped and stared as Narcissa proceeded to throw her fists at Harry, striking him everywhere that she could reach. Andromeda rushed forward and pulled her back off of Harry.

"Cissy, no!"

Harry didn't even raise his hands to defend himself, taking the strikes as penance for what he had caused.

"You!" spat Narcissa. "You did this! I told you this would happen! I told you!"

"I-I'm sorry," said Harry weakly.

"SORRY ISN'T GOOD ENOUGH!" she screamed. "I should have let you die in the forest that night."

"Narcissa, that's enough," Andromeda gripped her sister's shoulders firmly to stop her striking out again.