The Pensieve: Part Two

"Do you have to leave so soon?" asked Draco. "You only just got here."

"I've been here a week," said Narcissa pulling on her cloak. "I don't want to outstay my welcome. I ought to get back home."

"You still don't want to come back here?" he asked hopefully.

His mother took his hand. "You still don't want to come to France with me?"

"No," he replied quietly.

Narcissa smiled sadly and squeezed her son's hand. "Then you have my answer also."

He nodded and pulled his mother into a tight embrace. "When will I see you again?"

"I'll be back over Christmas. Andromeda has asked me to stay again. You know, you are more than welcome to visit me any time you like, I can finally introduce you to your cousins."

Draco smiled. "I'd like that."

Andromeda came into the living room holding Teddy. "Someone wants to say goodbye to his Auntie Cissy."

Narcissa's face broke into a wide grin as she cuddled and kissed Teddy goodbye.

"Despite the circumstances, it's been great to see you again," said Andromeda, taking Teddy back in her arms and kissing her sister on the cheek. "The next time we meet it will be in more fortuitous circumstances."

"Take care, Andy."

Narcissa headed for the front door followed closely by Draco carrying her luggage. Andromeda waved them off from the front door as they disappeared down the country road towards the village.

"You know what you're looking for?" asked Draco.

Narcissa nodded. "A blue bicycle without wheels."

"I'll keep my eyes peeled."

Narcissa averted her gaze and asked, "So, are you seeing Harry today?"

"No, he's working all day then he's meeting his friends afterwards. I've got a few errands to run for Andromeda today, anyway."

"Hmm," Narcissa pursed her lips and looked at her feet.

Draco frowned. "What?"

Narcissa inclined her head. "I don't like the idea of you being at Harry's beck and call. You ought to be out with your own friends whenever you can."

"I don't have any other friends, Mother. Funnily enough, most people don't care to give former Death Eaters the time of day. And considering most of the friends I did have are either dead or in prison, friendships are in short supply at the moment."

"You know that's not what I meant. I just don't want you becoming too dependent on him for things, relying on his handouts to get by."

Draco groaned. "Not this again. Why are you bringing this up now?"

"Because I'm worried about you, Draco," she implored. "I believe Harry cares about you, but however well-intentioned he is I still don't like the thought of you being so isolated and dependent on one person for love and affection."

"Sounds an awful lot like your marriage to Father," Draco sneered. "And just because I enjoy spending most of my time in the company of one other person doesn't mean I'm isolated or dependent on them, it just means I like them!"

Draco and Narcissa's argument raged on so much that they nearly walked passed the Portkey. Draco dropped his mother's cases a little harder than he'd intended to and stuffed his hands in his pockets.

"Draco," said Narcissa gently. "I don't want us to part ways on bad terms."

"We're not parting on bad terms, Mother," he sighed. "I get it, you're worried about me. But I'm fine. Really, I'm better than I have been in years." He hugged his mother hard and said again more softly, "I'm alright."