Weed of Sorrows

Harry and Draco made the front page of the Prophet again the very next day:

TROUBLE IN PARADISE?

Lover's tiff or something more? Draco Malfoy seen storming from Potter residence after controversial relationship comes to public attention.

The headline was accompanied by a photograph of Draco storming out of Grimmauld Place looking furious after his argument with Harry. This time Harry didn't even bother to read the article and immediately discarded the newspaper by tossing it in the fireplace. He also began receiving letters from 'avid fans' showing their support for his relationship, and a few who wrote to voice their concerns. After reading the first few letters and getting increasingly annoyed, Harry threw the rest of the letters in the fire along with the unread newspapers without opening them. He also received a few extra visits from friends, many claiming to have just been passing: Hagrid came by with freshly baked rock cakes for Harry and Draco and reiterated that he had his father's old wedding band handy if they ever needed it. Harry voiced his appreciation but declined the offer. Andromeda visited with Teddy and recounted to the boys' amusement the various jinxes she had thrown at journalists snooping around her property. Even Ginny and Neville came by for a visit. Neville took particular interest in the Venomous Tentacula growing in the back garden, which alarmed Harry somewhat because he had assumed it was ivy of the Muggle variety. Eventually, the journalists got bored standing at Harry's front door and left to chase other stories, but Harry was still reluctant to go out unless absolutely necessary.

While things seemed to settle back down, Draco couldn't help but notice that Harry was becoming increasingly distant. He would receive official-looking letters and burn them immediately after reading them. More than once Draco had caught Harry having hushed conversations with Arthur Weasley via the floo network. Harry was becoming more insular, less talkative, just as Ron had warned he would. Draco tried to talk to Harry outright, but Harry would just fix a smile on his face and insist everything was fine. When Draco had pushed him on it, Harry had erupted and promptly given Draco the silent treatment for the rest of the day. It was so bad that Harry slept in one of the guest rooms instead of sharing a bed with Draco, not that either of them managed much sleep that night.

Mild panic built into frustration and then outright anger as the days passed. Draco didn't know what to do. He didn't have anyone he could talk his concerns over with. He supposed that he could speak to his mother, but he ruled that out almost as immediately as he had considered it. No, his mother would see his concerns about the relationship as some sort of vindication on her part, reaffirming her belief that their union was doomed to fail from the start. It wasn't like he could talk to Granger or Weasley about it as they weren't really his friends. The sinking realisation hit Draco hard that he didn't really have any friends of his own apart from Harry, so he was forced to be entirely alone to muse in his dark thoughts. Well, he supposed there was one person he could speak to. It seemed mad, but she had said they were friends, after all...

While Harry was out at the Ministry, Draco waited by the fire for his visitor. He checked his watch every few seconds, pacing the living room back and forth impatiently. Finally, the fireplace erupted into emerald green flames and Luna Lovegood stepped through, smiling serenely at him.

"Hello, Draco," she greeted him airily. "You look distressed."

"I am," he said marching past her towards the kitchen, then remembering his manners he asked, "Would you like a cup of tea?"

"Green, if you have any," she replied dreamily, following close behind.

While Draco made their drinks, he recounted to Luna Harry's increasingly distant behaviour over the last few days. "Do you want lemon and honey in your tea?"